Author Topic: No medals  (Read 141 times)

Offline J.R.Ellam

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
No medals
« on: Sunday 06 January 19 10:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi, need a second  pair of eyes.

I have just started another set of Absent Voters and I have found the Army record of George Edwin Ackroyd but I cannot find a medal card for him.
According to his Army record he was in the West Riding regiment, (I would say for training.) He transferred to the West Yorkshire Regiment number 3/17775 made L/Corporal and transferred to North Staffs, (no number.) Then transferred to Royal Guernsey Light Infantry, number 2283 and made L/Sergeant.
Been trying to cross reference with medals but no medal card, tried Ancestry and National Archives.
Just wondered if anyone on this find website could help or had any new ideas of where to look.

Regards
John
Ellam, Mills, Ellins
Firth, Wood, Muffitt
Hill, Mattinson, Nicholson
Morrey, Hudson, Limb

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline jds1949

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: No medals
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 06 January 19 10:37 GMT (UK) »
It is possible that he was a home posting throughout - medals were only given to men who served overseas in a theatre of war - not everybody did. His army record should confirm this, if the relevant page has survived.

jds1949
Swarbrick - all and any - specially interested in all who served in WW1

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 06 January 19 10:56 GMT (UK) »
He served overseas only in one of his units, 1st Garrison Battalion West Yorks which was in Malta,  the remainder were in UK (incl the Channel Islands).  That should have entitled him at least to the British War Medals but it is not on his record and,as you say, no medal card.  As his last unit was the RDC, he should appear on their medal rolls, no sign though.  Mistakes do happen.

MaxD
Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline J.R.Ellam

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 06 January 19 14:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Thankyou for your reply's it looks like I did not miss them.

Yes it looks like another one slipped then net, he served overseas and he enrolled in the Royal Guernsey's in Guernsey.
The family emigrated to Canada but came back and lived in London so might not have been in the country when the medals were awarded but he would still have had a medal card.

John
Ellam, Mills, Ellins
Firth, Wood, Muffitt
Hill, Mattinson, Nicholson
Morrey, Hudson, Limb