Author Topic: Isabella Parke b. abt. 1804 of Lupton, Westmorland  (Read 1602 times)

Offline pughcd

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Isabella Parke b. abt. 1804 of Lupton, Westmorland
« on: Sunday 06 January 19 11:50 GMT (UK) »
Happy New Year all!

Isabella Parke married John Dixon on 12 November 1828, Preston Patrick, Westmorland (England Marriages 1538-1973, Find My Past). The census of 1841, Old Hutton, Westmorland shows the couple farming at Ewebank, nr New Hutton, with seven children and John's mother Mary Dixon. The 1851 census of Crosthwaite & Lyth, shows the couple farming at Rawson's Lyth, with five children. These details fit with descendants later reporting births in Lythe and Levens area.

John Dixon was born 18 April 1805, baptised  26 May 1805, Kendal, son of James and Mary Dixon. The 1851 census gives Isabella as 47, born Lupton and with husband John being 45, born Kendal. I have been unable to find any suitable birth records for Isabella Parke born about 1804, Lupton on Ancestry, Family Search or Find My Past databases.

There is a marriage record for a Joseph Parke to Hannah Kilner on 20 May 1807, at Preston Patrick. There are subsequent christenings  for Jane Parke, 13 November 1808, Preston Patrick and Tamar Parke, about 1810, Preston Richard - both daughters of Joseph and Hannah Parke.

There is an Isabella Park, baptised 10 Jun 1810, Witherslack, Westmorland, daughter of Jane Park (England, Births and Baptisms, 1538-1975, Find My Past). Was our Isabella trying to be older for the benefit of the wedding? Was Jane Park of Witherslack related to Joseph Parke of Preston Patrick?

Any suggestions or advice on the Park(e) family would be welcome.
Many thanks in advance.

pughcd
Ingham, Crabtree, Ogden, Horsfield - Yorkshire, Dixon, Park, Spooner - Westmorland, Drinkwater - Lancashire,  Gonsalves, Tressler - Lahore, Pakistan, Oberbremer, Baute, Rieke, Lindemeier, Sewing, Mesterheide, Clauss, Althoff, Wortmann, - North-Rhine Westphalia, Germany, Grolms, Schonscheck, Weiss, Schwartz, Stephan, Weissin -West Prussia

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Isabella Parke b. abt. 1804 of Lupton, Westmorland
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 06 January 19 12:45 GMT (UK) »
The England marriage transcripts dataset on F M P that you mention is extracted from familysearch.  Have you seen the original document in case it gives any further clues.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 06 January 19 12:53 GMT (UK) »
Lancaster Gazette 29 November 1828
Marriage - On the 11 inst. at Preston Patrick Mr John Dixon of High Bracken Hall to Miss Isabella Park of Sizergh

Offline pughcd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 06 January 19 12:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi rosie99,

No unfortunately, there is no image available at Family Search for the marriage of Isabella Parke and John Dixon.

However, it looks as if you have found a really useful nugget in the Lancaster Gazette. Great work!!

Many thanks,
pughcd  :)
Ingham, Crabtree, Ogden, Horsfield - Yorkshire, Dixon, Park, Spooner - Westmorland, Drinkwater - Lancashire,  Gonsalves, Tressler - Lahore, Pakistan, Oberbremer, Baute, Rieke, Lindemeier, Sewing, Mesterheide, Clauss, Althoff, Wortmann, - North-Rhine Westphalia, Germany, Grolms, Schonscheck, Weiss, Schwartz, Stephan, Weissin -West Prussia

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 06 January 19 13:06 GMT (UK) »
Childrens names in 1851 in case there is a naming pattern
John 18
Thomas 15
William 12
George 10
Isabella 8
Joseph 7
Ann 5
Agnes 3
H0107/2442 f435 p4

1841 has children John, Thomas, William & George also
James 12
Mary 10
Margaret 6

Offline Green Dragon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 15 January 19 09:02 GMT (UK) »
Nothing to do with your  original question    but this is   a memorial card for   Tamar Parke . Most likely Isabella's sister.

Offline suzyf

• RootsChat Senior
  • 4 Generations of Strong Women
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 15 January 19 17:39 GMT (UK) »
Good to see Tamars memorial card.
I don't  think she's  Isabellas sister.
The will of James Park of Higher Stangerthwaite Killington 27 March 1856 mentions his children as the late Jane Braithwaite, Tamar Oversby,Mary Park and sons Joseph and Thomas. See post More Park Wills .
Interestingly my Ancestor John Park farmed at Ewebank until his death in 1836. Perhaps they took over his farm.
He was born around 1784 and married Elizabeth Airey who was living at Sizergh Hall in 1804.
Sue.
Westmoreland -Farrer,Thompson,Park,Wharton,Airey
Lancs  Farrer ,Thompson,Clarke,Brewer,Reid,Howarth,Feast,Sladen,Southern

Ireland(Offaly)Reid
London -Feast

Offline pughcd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 16 January 19 12:25 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Green Dragon and suzyf for your contributions.

I have tracked down my x3 great grandfather, John Dixon, b. 19 Apr 1805, Kendal, son of James Dixon and Mary Atkinson, farming at Ewebank, Old Hutton on the 1841 census. He is there with wife Isabella and seven children and mother Mary Dixon. They seem to be between Old Croft and Toad Pool at Ewebank.

In the 1851 census, they appear to have moved to Rawsons Lyth, Crosthwaite and Lyth, probably Rawson's Farm, Lyth. Farmer of 80 acres (not 30), living with Isabella, and five children.

My initial difficulty with this family was to decide which of the John Dixon marriages to Isabella. Either 1828, Preston Patrick to Isabella Parke (this fits best with eldest child born 1828/9), or 1830, Kendal to Isabella Airey, or 1831, Kendal to Isabella Prickett.

So my initial post here was about Isabella Park(e) as the 1851 census at Rawsons states that Isabella was from Lupton. This fits with the 1828 marriage at Preston Patrick to John Dixon. So rosie99put forward the useful note about Mr John Dixon of High Bracken Hall marrying Miss Isabella park of Sizergh on 11 November 1828, at Preston Patrick.

My search for Isabella's family has thrown up some contradictory information. She is born about 1805, according to the censuses; 1841, 1851. However the only christening I can find at the moment is 1810. Isabella Park b. 3 May 1810, chr. 10 Jun 1810, at Witherslack, illegitimate daughter of Jane Park. Now Witherslack is closer to Sizergh than Preston Patrick or Lupton. She could have been working at Sizergh Hall. She could have made herself a bit older for the benefit of the wedding. This could be my x3 great grandmother.

Thanks for all the contributions so far.
pughcd

Offline pughcd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 16 January 19 12:36 GMT (UK) »
Further to my discussion on the Dixon family, farmers of Ewebank (1841), Rawsons Lyth (1851) I found this online page about the Families of the Lyth Valley.

1871. Burtree, Gilpin Farm, Burtree, John Dixon and seven children.
(This is my John Dixon Jr . 1832, son of John Dixon and Isabella Park(e).)

1982. The Park family, Fell End, Witherslack, purchased the farmhouse, buildings and adjoining land. They later sold the farmhouse.

http://www.crosthwaiteandlyth.co.uk/genealogy/Hartley/gilpinfarm.html

pughcd