Author Topic: Understanding relationships of ancestors to me. HELP.  (Read 2982 times)

Offline Sloe Gin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Understanding relationships of ancestors to me. HELP.
« Reply #27 on: Monday 07 January 19 14:54 GMT (UK) »
I'm going to confuse things further now  ;D

I came across this, and I don't think it's right.
https://anthonyadolph.co.uk/how-to-work-out-cousinship

You are your second cousin’s second cousin, for example. Where it becomes complicated, again, is when there is a difference in the generations.

Say your first cousin X has a child, Y. Y is your first cousin once removed, as we have seen above. But if you want to describe the situation from their point of view and say ‘I am Y’s …. cousin’ you must start with their position on the family tree.

From Y’s point of view, they are looking across the family tree, on their line, at the space directly below you. If you have a child, then that child is Y’s second cousin, but whether or not you have a child is irrelevant. What is relevant is that you are one generation removed from that position. You are therefore Y’s second cousin once removed.

I've checked this out on my genealogy software (Family Historian) which shows relationships.  For instance, my grandmother's first cousin is my first cousin twice removed.  Changing it round so that he is the root, his relationship to me is exactly the same - first cousin twice removed. 
UK census content is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk  Transcriptions are my own.

Offline Top-of-the-hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 07 January 19 15:51 GMT (UK) »
   Is this where "once removed upwards" or "downwards" comes in?
 I also use Family Historian and find the application mentioned by Sloe Gin very useful.
Pay, Kent
Codham/Coltham, Kent
Kent, Felton, Essex
Staples, Wiltshire

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 07 January 19 18:13 GMT (UK) »
It was just for an article I was writting for a magazine about the grandson (3 times murderer and  wife beater, an evil man)of my 3 great grandfather,
If I found someone like that I'd relegate him to "distant relation".
Cowban

Offline jettejjane

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Dad - 9 times Mayor of Arundel
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 07 January 19 19:39 GMT (UK) »
It was just for an article I was writting for a magazine about the grandson (3 times murderer and  wife beater, an evil man)of my 3 great grandfather,
If I found someone like that I'd relegate him to "distant relation".

Yes that’s what I have put in the end. It is not relevant to his story. That we are related is good enough for me. Have quite a few black sheep in family but he takes it to a whole new level. Happy to say he was killed by a lynch mob while awaiting trial.
Redman, Jupp, Brockhurst of West Sussex
Moore County Down. Redman of Posey, Indiana, USA Emigrated 1820