Author Topic: Free colourisation of photos!  (Read 351 times)

Offline russell12

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Free colourisation of photos!
« on: Monday 07 January 19 00:32 GMT (UK) »
Hello everyone!

I've been learning to colourise photos for only a few weeks now (which has been helped along by my general interest in art) - mainly pulling random photos from the internet but have done a few whom are my own family members. My preferred pictures to colourise/restore are those from the Early and mid Victorian era; and since I collect antique clothing (which is what sparked my interest in these pictures) I can also have a go at dating them for you :)

Anyhow - what I really wanted to do - was to colourise a photo of somebody s ancestor, and have the honour of bringing that photo to life for them! My work is in no way perfect, and I do take some artistic liberty in choosing the colours etc.

All I need is a high res. scan/photo of the picture and I'll get to work right away! I use Adobe photoshop to colour the pictures, so if you wish I can also supply you with the original PSD file that I create. P.s The bigger and clearer the picture - the better the final result will turn out.

Below are some examples of my work...

^ Is George Bennett - brother to James Bennett who is my 6th generation direct ancestor! After finding a newspaper article of the two - who were fined for poaching, I did a little more research and found out  that George Bennett was in fact a habitual criminal and had later been convicted in 1861 for 7 years at Bedford Gaol - and that is when I found that a 'mugshot' had been released publicly by the Hertfordshire Archives (http://bedsarchives.bedford.gov.uk/CommunityArchives/Luton/EstablishedChurchinLuton/ThievesAtSaintMarys.aspx) . The colours are a little different in the 'progress' screenshot since I was having a hard time nailing the 'sallow' complexion described on his criminal record and couldn't decide on the colour of his neck-tie.

And lastly here is another photo that I am currently still working on!

I'm still yet to add a little more 'life' (colour) into her face and refine the colouring on the passementerie tassels, and curtain - but so far she's looking pretty good!

So that's all - feel very free to post any pictures you would like colourised or restored :D and I promise that I will try my best with them.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Free colourisation of photos!
« Reply #1 on: Monday 07 January 19 12:24 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to rootschat

Why not join the others on here that colourise and repair photo's that are posted on the restoration boards. They also do it for nothing  ;D
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Online Trishanne

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 07 January 19 12:49 GMT (UK) »
I agree Rosie, this is a free restoration service provided by Rootschat and is open to all people who like restoring photos which is available to anybody who would like their photos restoring and/or coloured.
If russell2 wants to only colour Victorian era photos, which incidentally I think we all enjoy doing, he will find some posted on here from time to time. This site offers the owners of photos a choice of restorations and colourizations and they can choose the one they prefer.
Welcome to Rootschat russell2, you are welcome to join us.
Bownass - Lancashire & Westmorland
Hoggarth - Lancashire & Westmorland
Jackson- Lancaster
Waller - Dent, Yorkshire dales
Omerod - Lancashire
Redburn - Lancashire
Evans - Hereford

RESTORERS please do not use my restores without my permission THANK YOU

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 07 January 19 13:10 GMT (UK) »
Nice work Russell12. Welcome to rootschat.

Do you know if the girl in your first photo and the older woman are related? They have a similar look to them I think.

George Bennett looks like a bit of a handsome bad boy doesn't he?  :) I would say a "sallow" complexion would be pale but with a touch of yellow to it rather than pink tones.  :)

Offline russell12

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 07 January 19 13:11 GMT (UK) »
Ahhh o.k I wasn't sure how it worked - Sorry about that (I was just a bit worried about imposing on other peoples work). But it makes sense that the owner gets a number of different interpretations of the photo to choose from :)

Im a girl btw :P

Thank you for your response.

@Ruskie; The photo of the girl was taken from the internet, and the older woman is a CDV I own :)

I did experiment with a yellow undertone but found he looked very 'dead' and unhealthy... it's quite a difficult complexion to capture. The criminal record also describes his eyes as being 'grey' coloured - I tried to find out what exactly this meant (is it a light bluish grey? Or simply a dark brown since I find the description of 'grey' eyes to be sued quite frequently by the victorians, yet grey eyes is quite uncommon).

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 07 January 19 13:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi Russell and welcome to Rootschat, as others have said, we are a band of volunteers with varying levels of experience and ability. How it works is, you choose a photo to download from one of posts and work on it and post the results, there is a 500kb limit. It is an open forum where any member can join either by restoring and/or colouring a photo, or offering a date or opinion on a photo. Have a look around and see if you like any that has been posted already and have a go  ;D
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 07 January 19 13:39 GMT (UK) »
His eyes are pale and I expect the description of "grey" eyes might be subjective, but I think you         might be right in thinking they are a pale 'bluish' grey (but with no brown tones).  :)

Added; on this link https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eye_color#Gray about 2/3 of the way down the page is "spectrum of eye colour" and I think the second and third photos could be classed as "grey".  :)

Offline Mike in Cumbria

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 07 January 19 13:43 GMT (UK) »
Nice work.
Como le dijo el mosquito a la rana, "Mas vale morir en el vino que vivir en el agua"

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 07 January 19 13:44 GMT (UK) »
Just so that you know Russell, we are advised not to post or manipulate photos taken from the internet without the owner's permission as it contravenes Rootschat rules.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU