Author Topic: Otto Diacono, son of William & Mary Diacono of Mary Hill Hotel, Nuwara Eliya  (Read 746 times)

Offline lucygrasshopper

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hello
I have finished my family history.  Every research has a mystery.  Otto Hugo Diacono, my Grandmother's first cousin (one of many).  He was born in Ceylon (as was then known), on 29th January 1899.
His parents were William and Mary Diacono who, at the time, owned and operated the "Mary Hill Hotel" in Nuwara Eliya. 
William was a Tea Planter,he was also into coffee and coal. He died ca 1920. His wife died in 1932 - in Ceylon.  They had 9 children, Aldo, Aida, Hugo, Nora, Irima, Arno, Otto, Ezio and Remo.
All have been traced:  Exception. Otto.
Otto was born in Ceylon in 1899. He and his brothers were schooled at St. Joseph's, Dumfries, Scotland. Their Home base was 1 Montpellier Gardens, Harrogate.
Otto joined up for WWI. I found his partially burned War Records.
He was demobbed in 1919 and returned to Ceylon. Service No. 59168 West Yorkshire Regiment.  WO372/6
 Otto was in an article from the "Antonian" Magazine, written by Charles Duft, Tytler.  regarding St Anthony's college, Kandy ca 1923.

In 1928, I found him entering Australia to join two brothers already here. With an almost immediate return to Ceylon via England.

The following cannot be substantiated:  I believe that...
1. ...his hands were badly injured during the War. I cannot find a Pension.
2. ... the War damaged him Mentally
3. ...His mother was a strong Matriarch and possibly farmed him out into the care of some Ceylonese women (photo with two women, one of which is pregnant, date unknown)
4. ... there was a girl and boy in a Diacono Photo album, showing them both dressed in religious regalia (Girl, First communion. Boy in sailor suit).  No dates.
5. ...Aida, the eldest sister took the photographs of her brother and the two women, and of the two children for family reasons.

Question.  Can someone tell me when Otto Diacono died and where he might be buried?
Would one ever have a chance to find out if he fathered these two children.

Long story, but I've cut it to the bone for this purpose.
Thank you
Lucygrasshopper