Author Topic: Will of 1545  (Read 255 times)

Offline Davedrave

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Will of 1545
« on: Monday 07 January 19 13:55 GMT (UK) »
I would be very grateful for a transcription of what comes after the wording “Phylyppe Ley and Henry Ley my”

Thanks,

Dave :)

(Will in Record Office for Leics., Leicester and Rutland)
ESSEX: Cramphorn Raven Sams Sayers Taylor; GLOS: Beacham/Beauchamp; HERTS: Chamberlain Chuck; LEICS: Allot Bentley Godfrey Greasley Hunt Hurst Jarvis Lane Lea Light Woodward; LINCS: Lambert Mitchell Muse ; STAFFS: Hodgkins Jarvis; SURREY: Light; WARKS: Astley/Chesshire Bradbury Hicken/Hickin Hudson; WORCS: Ballinger Beauchamp Laight

Offline horselydown86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Will of 1545
« Reply #1 on: Monday 07 January 19 14:12 GMT (UK) »
I believe it is:  ...too [or toe] synnys...

Compare to the form of the y in devyded and betwyn.

I would say that two sons is meant, unless something else in the text suggests otherwise.

Offline Davedrave

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Will of 1545
« Reply #2 on: Monday 07 January 19 15:13 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks, horsleydown86. I think that you are right, because Thomas the testator does again refer to his son Phylyppe later in the will and because in a later will Philip refers to his brother Henry. I was hoping the text might read “sons” and your reading confirms this.

Dave :)
ESSEX: Cramphorn Raven Sams Sayers Taylor; GLOS: Beacham/Beauchamp; HERTS: Chamberlain Chuck; LEICS: Allot Bentley Godfrey Greasley Hunt Hurst Jarvis Lane Lea Light Woodward; LINCS: Lambert Mitchell Muse ; STAFFS: Hodgkins Jarvis; SURREY: Light; WARKS: Astley/Chesshire Bradbury Hicken/Hickin Hudson; WORCS: Ballinger Beauchamp Laight