Author Topic: County: Yorkshire. William Rhodes/Mary Ann Walton  (Read 1373 times)

Offline nancyg67

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: County: Yorkshire. William Rhodes/Mary Ann Walton
« Reply #9 on: Monday 07 January 19 22:32 GMT (UK) »
I haven't put it all together yet, but another question on the family you suggested from 1851 (without Mary Ann)... they have the daughter "Sarah Ann" as being 12yo  but I believe it should be 2yo - the census has some kind of a slash through that box making it look like a 12 instead of 2.

I am also wondering if the info could have been given to the census taker incorrectly and it is Mary Ann instead of Sarah Ann.  The original info I had for my Mary Ann was that she was born Apr 7, 1848 and died May 6, 1893 in Philadelphia PA USA.

What do you think?  Maybe? 

You had one fact where you said birth registration is as Mary Ann Walton, mother's maiden name Rhodes, Mar qtr 1847 and further down on the census (without Mary Ann) you noted mmn Rhodes, but Mar qtr 1849.    (I am sooo confused  :'(

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 07 January 19 22:38 GMT (UK) »
Mary Ann Walton and Sarah Ann Walton were different children (sisters).

Mary Ann was the elder, born 1847 (see reply #2) and was not with her parents in 1851 because she was with her Rhodes grandparents as per your opening post.

Sarah Ann with the 1849 birth registration was, as you say, enumerated as 2 not (as per the faulty online transcription) 12 in 1851 - see my earlier correct transcription at reply #6.  I included her 1849 birth registration details in that reply.

Bear in mind that Ancestry (or any other online) transcriptions are just done for indexing purposes and you should always go to the underlying image to see what it actually says.  As evidenced by this thread those transcriptions are often wrong - Edward Rhodes was 20 not 70, and Sarah Ann Rhodes was 2 not 12.
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 07 January 19 22:53 GMT (UK) »
Another possible child for the Waltons:

William Walton, mmn Rhodes, Sep qtr 1854 Huddersfield (died Dec qtr 1855, aged 1)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline nancyg67

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 07 January 19 22:58 GMT (UK) »
Ok. Thanks.  I guess I was wondering why Mary Ann was with grandparents when her parents were still together and having another child.  I guess I will never know the answer to that :-\

I will check on the last post about the son for Wm and MaryAnn.  I know it's probably late in the evening for where you are.  I thank you again for your help.

Offline nancyg67

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 07 January 19 22:59 GMT (UK) »
oops I just realized that Wm was the son for John and Sarah - quickly glanced at post.

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 07 January 19 23:00 GMT (UK) »
Bear in mind that a census is only a snapshot - it merely tells you where someone spent a particular night, in this case the night of 30/31 March 1851.

It doesn’t mean that Mary Ann was living with her grandparents on any long-term basis.  It would not have been uncommon for children to have overnight stays with grandparents, and it is a frequent finding in censuses.

Offline nancyg67

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 08 January 19 00:45 GMT (UK) »
That's good information to know.  I guess I was thinking of my mom and her two sisters who were split up when their mother died young.  My mom stayed with her father.  Her younger sisters were probably too much for the father to handle himself so they went to live with his aunt nearby. 

You are a wonderful teacher - I have learned more about genealogy searches from you in just one short day. 

Offline nancyg67

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 16 January 19 04:00 GMT (UK) »
I suggest this is the family (without Mary Ann) in 1851:

Towning Row, Huddersfield: HO107/2295/596/38

John Walton Head Mar 28 Shoemaker Cumberland Carlisle
Sarah Ann Walton Wife Mar 27 Huddersfield
Sarah Ann Walton Daur 2 Huddersfield [Sarah Ann Walton, mmn Rhodes, Mar qtr 1849 Huddersfield]
Mary Welsh Visitor Wid 68 Ireland

There is a possible death for Sarah Ann Walton aged 35, Dec qtr 1858 Huddersfield. and a possible remarriage for John Walton to Emma Lee in 1860.

I found the above info and have a question for you regarding the possible remarriage for John Walton to Emma Lee... on the 1861 England Census it does show John as 25yo (1836) married to Emma 22yo (1839) and two children that are the same ages as the daughters of John & Sarah (Sarah Ann - 1848) and (Elizabeth -1850) which are older than the noted parents.  I thought maybe it was the right John Walton and the daughters were Emma's step-children, but it gave John's age as 25. The census is hard to read where it gives his age - could it be transcribed wrong and this is  John the widow of Sarah?

Oh, also on the 1861 England census Mary Ann Walton (age 14) was still with the Rhodes grandparents!

In all of this though I still haven't been able to connect Mary Ann Walton with my "brick wall" Farrow Hewson.  I do agree that she is the right one and not the Mary Ann Rhodes that I initially was searching.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 20 February 19 05:23 GMT (UK) »

Oh, also on the 1861 England census Mary Ann Walton (age 14) was still with the Rhodes grandparents!
Census Night was usually Sunday. Perhaps Mary Ann was in the habit of spending Sundays with her grandparents. Were they in the same town?
I found the same thing with Sarah, one daughter of a large working-class family in one of my lines. She was never at home on census night - she was with her grandparents. Her parents and grandparents lived in the same street. The only son of her grandparents was mentally handicapped; it may have been the case that they needed help from other family members to look after him and sleep over. Sarah may have slept at her grandparents' house because her parents' home was crowded with sisters and baby brother.
There are instances of people being enumerated twice on census night because they'd spent part of that day or night at a relative's house and been listed there and at home.
Cowban