Author Topic: New and Well Stuck in FOX mud......  (Read 4411 times)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: New and Well Stuck in FOX mud......
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 09 January 19 20:21 GMT (UK) »
Charles Richard Fox and Harriett Jane Bell married 1835 - she died 1839

Unfortunately - Civil registration of BMD's only started 1.7.1837 and anything prior to that is in parish registers.

I am pretty certain James was their son but as he was born before 1837 we need to find a baptismal entry for him in parish records - but I don't think that's going to happen.

Re: the census entry you refer to - from my reply #7

The 1841 census has 2 possibilities for James in Hampshire - both born 1836 but neither have a father on the entry - only a mother and siblings.

If Harriett was his mother - she was dead by 1839.  The 1841 does not show relationships so we have no way of knowing whether the "mothers" in these 2 entries were biological or foster mums

This is the entry you mention

Sarah Shaw    30
Mary Fox    30
Emma Fox    2
James Fox    5
Edith Shamer    14
HO107 Piece 405/11 Folio 26 Page 7
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 09 January 19 20:56 GMT (UK) »
The second James Fox I mentioned has a mother Elizabeth and they are in Southampton.  He is more than likely the James Fox born 3.9.1835 and baptised Southampton 18.10.1835 - parents George & Elizabeth

He can therefore be eliminated as a possibility
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 10 January 19 01:21 GMT (UK) »

How do I find out more information?? I am not yet on ancestry or find my past.....

Another piece of advice - explore free sources and free trials first before signing up to fee-paying sites.

These websites have guidance on starting out.
Discovering English Ancestors
(Look this one up as the link I have doesn't work.)

Ancestor Search (This is for English and Welsh ancestors)
www.ancestor-search.info/home.htm

Federation of Family History Societies
www.ffhs.org.uk
There are others. These are just some I have bookmarked.

Cowban

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 10 January 19 01:32 GMT (UK) »
Whoa - one step at a time.  We don’t yet know whether that 1835 marriage resulted in the birth of James do we?

The Charles Richard Fox who married Elizabeth Saville in 1841 was with a possible father John in 1841 but we don’t know whether he was a widower or a bachelor without sight of the 1841 marriage cert.

Charles ticks all the boxes for name and occupation as per James marriage cert but we have nothing that shows them together.   

This is all good advice. It's easy to go off on the wrong track. I've done that a couple of times with one of my lines because I went too fast, made assumptions, mixed up 2 couples with the same names in a town and because they weren't a neat, conventional family.
Cowban

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 10 January 19 02:07 GMT (UK) »
Diatoms, you mentioned a possible marriage in Ireland. Good news is that civil registration records of Irish marriages from 1845 (Church of Ireland) and 1864 (Catholic) are free to search on Irish Genealogy ie website. Birth and death registrations began 1864. Images for some early records are not yet available to view; these are being added gradually.
https://www.irishgenealogy.ie
You have to sign in , tick a box and do a little test each time you use the site. It's endorsed by the Irish Government. Some church registers are on it and more are being added.

Catholic parish registers, Irish census 1901 & 1911 and some 19th century land records such as Griffiths' Valuation and Tithes are free to view on official Irish websites.
A painless introduction to Irish family history is Irish Genealogy Toolkit.
 https://www.irish-genealogy-toolkit.com

There are several websites which can help in understanding and locating parishes, townlands, and various other land divisions in Ireland.

If you become bogged-down in Ireland, reach out on RootsChat Ireland board or a specific Irish county board.  :)
I've learned a lot on RootsChat by helping to answer enquiries and seeing how other people do it.
Cowban

Offline diatoms

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 10 January 19 20:33 GMT (UK) »
ahh you guys are brilliant! I am seriously thinking of going for ancestry but unsure which is the better out of find my past or ancestry. And... I have discovered a cousin in NZ who is also researching the Fox family tree since 1989! She is on Ancestry.

She sent me some info that Charles James Fox was married 4 times, the allegation was to rid himself of his first wife Ann Green in 1829, he then married Harriet who died in 1839, James Richard was apparently with his aunts on Isle of Wight in census 1841.

Charles Richard 1st marries Anne Green 1824, 2nd Harriet 1835, 3rd Maria Wallis 1841, 4th Elizabeth Russell (nee Toswell) 1848. Apparently James Richard's mother fits with harriet.

I am most definitely learning a lot from you guys, I have ditched some of what I found from other records and have done some of it myself and some with your help also.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 10 January 19 20:53 GMT (UK) »
Many public libraries in UK have Find My Past and/or Ancestry. Some even have a volunteer from a local family history society present on a set day, perhaps once a month to advise beginners and help people stuck. Another paid site is The Genealogist. Before you sign up for an annual sub to a paid site, try them each for free or a short sub. I got 3 months free for The Genealogist with a coupon in a family history mag. There are threads on here discussing the various pay-sites.
I recommend joining a family history society. As well as talks etc they have help days/evenings. Even if you can't get to meetings you might be able to take part remotely on a forum or Facebook.
Cowban

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Thursday 10 January 19 23:24 GMT (UK) »
So the Elizabeth in 1851 is a different wife and not the Elizabeth Saville who also married in 1841 in the same RD and same reference - duh ::)

Marriages June qtr 1841 

FOX    Charles Richard         Stockbridge    7   277
WALLIS    Maria         Stockbridge    7   277
(SAVILLE    Elizabeth         Stockbridge    7   277)   

Deaths September qtr 1847 
Maria Fox   aged 37      Stockbridge    7   159

Marriages March qtr 1848   
Doswell    Elizabeth Russell Stockbridge    7  307
Fox    Charles Richard         Stockbridge   

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Friday 11 January 19 14:43 GMT (UK) »
The James Richard Fox in Ireland was an Engineer he had two children in Co Tyrone
Hilda 1871 and Hugh below 1872
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1872/03240/2187031.pdf