Author Topic: Tom Davidson What is this uniform?  (Read 1686 times)

Online Jebber

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Tom Davidson What is this uniform?
« Reply #9 on: Monday 14 January 19 12:34 GMT (UK) »
It was so late in the evening and having so little information on the man, it was just a wild suggestion MaxD.

CHOULES All ,  COKER Harwich Essex & Rochester Kent 
COLE Gt. Oakley, & Lt. Oakley, Essex.
DUNCAN Kent
EVERITT Colchester,  Dovercourt & Harwich Essex
GULLIVER/GULLOFER Fifehead Magdalen Dorset
HORSCROFT Kent.
KING Sturminster Newton, Dorset. MONK Odiham Ham.
SCOTT Wrabness, Essex
WILKINS Stour Provost, Dorset.
WICKHAM All in North Essex.
WICKHAM Medway Towns, Kent from 1880
WICKHAM, Ipswich, Suffolk.

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 14 January 19 13:36 GMT (UK) »
Always worth a shot! 

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline russell12

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 14 January 19 13:45 GMT (UK) »
Sooo I've got a few dates for other members of the family which might help;

Tom's grandson 'James A.C Florence' married Phylis Mary who was born June 22nd 1899 and both her parents were born in the 1860s.

So that would likely put Tom's daughter 'G' (have not been given her full name) birth date as also being around the 1860s/mid Victorian period.

Tom is my 6th generation ancestor; and the 6th generation ancestors on Phylis Mary's side were born in the 1830s... so depending on any age gaps Tom would likely have also been born around the early Victorian era -

WHICH

Makes it unlikely that it is him in the picture?! Arghh I have no clue whats going on now  ;D

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 14 January 19 14:32 GMT (UK) »
Where was all this?

If I am reading it correctly the top end of the chart appears to be the marriage of G Davidson (daughter of the Lancer) to James Florence or Dalrimple (with variants).  I find no such marriage in England and Wales, I haven't checked Scotland or Ireland.
I also can't seem to find any of the births/marriages but my enthusiasm waned a bit so I may not have checked them all.

Any idea what the word in brackets beneath Dalrimple is?

MaxD

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk

Offline russell12

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 14 January 19 16:42 GMT (UK) »
Where was all this?

If I am reading it correctly the top end of the chart appears to be the marriage of G Davidson (daughter of the Lancer) to James Florence or Dalrimple (with variants).  I find no such marriage in England and Wales, I haven't checked Scotland or Ireland.
I also can't seem to find any of the births/marriages but my enthusiasm waned a bit so I may not have checked them all.

Any idea what the word in brackets beneath Dalrimple is?

MaxD

Yes! I've had this problem aswell - the only people I've managed to find our Phylis Mary's parents - William Octavius Joseph and Elizabeth Mary Day (they married in Egypt). But with that being said I haven't found any evidence of them having a daughter called 'Phylis Mary'... so I'm just going along with hearsay.

Her son 'James Morton Dalrymple' - whom is still alive in his late 90s - currently lives in South Africa with the rest of my family, with a few who moved to New Zealand. So it's perfectly possible that these records would be found overseas  ??? Your guess is as good as mine  :-\

The words in the brackets say 'Dropt' - so the surname was replaced to Florence... for reasons utterly unknown to me!

Sorry about how confusing this all is, I've requested for more info but not been given much more.

I'll go ahead and just post the whole page of info she sent me  :)

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 15 January 19 10:05 GMT (UK) »
Not easy!  Not impossible for the photo to be of a man born about 1820.  As mentioned before, records of men who served with the Indian Army (also called British Indian Army) were kept by the British India Office, not the British war Office.  FindMyPast has a number of Thomas Davidsons from the FIBIS database (see https://www.genguide.co.uk/source/india-office-records/234/) but the references I find are all like individual pieces of a jigsaw with no idea what the picture looks like!

The same database does turn up the baptism in 1904 in Lahore Cathedral of James Andrew Charles Florence, son of James and Mabel Grace Dalrymple.  Need to look at that data base a bit more closely I think.  Florence and Dalrymple figure now and again in passenger lists to India.

MaxD

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 15 January 19 13:51 GMT (UK) »
Gets better.

Mabel Grace Dalrymple baptised at (not sure) Lahore Dec 29 1870 (born Oct 30) daughter of Thomas Reid and Georgina Herriot Davidson nee Becher, he a Captain in the Bengal Staff Corps.  They had been married on Aug 22 1861 when he was a Lieutenant in the 18th Bengal Cavalry : https://www.indianetzone.com/63/18th_regiment_bengal_cavalry.htm

If you recall my earlier post in which I asked about a middle name - it was Thomas Reid Davidson who I was looking at but as he was a Staff Corps man I was hesitant.  He is relatively easy to trace as he appears in the Indian Army Lists and many entries in the British India Office database.
I submit that this is the top of the tree chart, G being Mabel Grace.

MaxD

PS His father also appears to have been named Thomas Reid Davidson who died in 1851.  He was British Resident at the court of the Rajah of Nagpore, a pretty high powered person! 

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 15 January 19 15:53 GMT (UK) »
Thomas Reid Davidson (senior)
https://www.ancestry.co.uk/mediaui-viewer/tree/28689470/person/12803209854/media/8792e11a-8a52-4a9a-bb18-42b36fc18957?_phsrc=MvA2086&_phstart=successSource

This is on an Ancestry public tree, there are two public trees which may be worth looking at.  However, be careful because there are two Thomas Reid Davidsons in the records, almost contemporaries, one is the Resident father of the Bengal soldier and the other Thomas Reid Waugh Davidson born in 1850 to Wright Westcott Davidson, brother of your man whose photo appears in one of the family trees.

My suggestion if you want to go back further than the man at the top of your chart, then a sub to Ancestry and FindMyPast will give access to much more data that you have already.  As for working down the tree, it may be that the task may be easier now. 

MaxD

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk

Offline russell12

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 15 January 19 16:19 GMT (UK) »
Gets better.

Mabel Grace Dalrymple baptised at (not sure) Lahore Dec 29 1870 (born Oct 30) daughter of Thomas Reid and Georgina Herriot Davidson nee Becher, he a Captain in the Bengal Staff Corps.  They had been married on Aug 22 1861 when he was a Lieutenant in the 18th Bengal Cavalry : https://www.indianetzone.com/63/18th_regiment_bengal_cavalry.htm

If you recall my earlier post in which I asked about a middle name - it was Thomas Reid Davidson who I was looking at but as he was a Staff Corps man I was hesitant.  He is relatively easy to trace as he appears in the Indian Army Lists and many entries in the British India Office database.
I submit that this is the top of the tree chart, G being Mabel Grace.

MaxD

PS His father also appears to have been named Thomas Reid Davidson who died in 1851.  He was British Resident at the court of the Rajah of Nagpore, a pretty high powered person!

Oh my goodness! I cannot thank you enough  :o  :D I would never have found any of this by myself!

^ On the right is a picture of James Andrew Charles Florence (quite a mouthful to say) and I wonder if the chain/necklace has any connection to Thomas Reid Davidson being a resident in the Courts? Maybe a heirloom medal that was gifted to the family... I'm not sure, I could be reaching a bit here  :-\ Any idea what it could be? Possibly military related? (sorry to be a pest asking so many questions)