Author Topic: McCormicks of Lisadian Townland ?  (Read 2312 times)

Offline victorialearmonth

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
McCormicks of Lisadian Townland ?
« on: Monday 07 January 19 19:50 GMT (UK) »
Good Evening all. Thank you for taking the time to read my post.

I am researching my McLean line. I have attached a snippet of birth certificate from Alexander MacLean 1855 who was born in Peebles.

Please could I have some help with his parents John McLean & Rachel McCormick.

JohnMcLean abt 1809 • Donoughmore, County Down
Rachel McCormick abt 1811 • Lisadian Townland, Loughgilly Parish, County Armagh.

Someone on another thread posted this link; http://www.rootschat.com/links/01n7w/ to a census. But somewhere I feel like ive seen a document naming Grace Cousins as Rachels mother.

Please could someone let me know what they think? Could the Rachel McCormick on the certificate be the same Rachel on the census link?

Also, any info on John McLean would be much appreciated! 

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: McCormicks of Lisadian Townland ?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 10 January 19 10:17 GMT (UK) »
Am I allowed to bump a post? Please delete if not. Many thanks,

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 10 January 19 11:11 GMT (UK) »
Bumping up isn't allowed but since you haven't had a response yet...

Lisadian townland, Loughgilly civil parish, Newry PLU, Co. Armagh-
https://www.townlands.ie/armagh/orior-upper/loughgilly-upper-orior-portion/lisadian/

Toome Upper as in pension claim- note family not found there but claimant obviously thought this was where the family had lived around that period-
https://www.townlands.ie/antrim/toome-upper/

Distance between the two approx. 55 miles which would have been a considerable distance to travel.

Unfortunately the period is well before the start of civil registration in Ireland and only fragments of pre-1901 census records survive.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Online Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 10 January 19 11:24 GMT (UK) »
The person in the 1841 & 1851 census extracts also appears to still have been single in 1917 (no mention of any married name anyway).  I would say it is not the same lady as appears in the 1855 birth registration.

There are 2 townlands called Lisadian in Co. Armagh. One is in Loughgilly parish, the other in Eglish. No McCormicks in either townland in the tithes c 1832 or Griffiths Valuation 1864.

John & Rachel married in Donaghmore in 1833. Do you know what denomination the marriage was? The Church of Ireland has records from 1783 onwards (indexed up to 1844); the RC church from 1825. There are a couple of Presbyterian churches in the parish but neither has any surviving marriage records prior to 1845. The Church of Ireland records are in PRONI (the public record office) in Belfast. A personal visit is required to view them. The RC records are on-line free on the nli website.

https://www.nli.ie/en/family-history-introduction.aspx
Elwyn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 10 January 19 16:35 GMT (UK) »
The person is the 1841 & 1851 census extracts also appears to still have been single in 1917 (no mention of any married name anyway).  I would say it is not the same lady as appears in the 1855 birth registration.

There are 2 townlands called Lisadian in Co. Armagh. One is in Loughgilly parish, the other in Eglish. No McCormicks in either townland in the tithes c 1832 or Griffiths Valuation 1864.

John & Rachel married in Donaghmore in 1833. Do you know what denomination the marriage was? The Church of Ireland has records from 1783 onwards (indexed up to 1844); the RC church from 1825. There are a couple of Presbyterian churches in the parish but neither has any surviving marriage records prior to 1845. The Church of Ireland records are in PRONI (the public record office) in Belfast. A personal visit is required to view them. The RC records are on-line free on the nli website.

https://www.nli.ie/en/family-history-introduction.aspx

Thank you - and apologies for the bump! I'm still getting to grips.
I dont think the Rachel in the Census returns is my Rachel. I have attached Rachels death certificate - which to me says Rachels mother as Grace Cousins.

I am pretty sure that denomination was Presbyterian.

Thank you for your replies :)

Online Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 10 January 19 16:57 GMT (UK) »
Tradition was to marry in the bride’s church, so if she was Presbyterian then the 2 churches in Donaghmore are Donaghmore itself, and Fourtowns. Donaghmore has baptisms from 1804 – 1837 and then 1845 onwards but no marriages before 1845. Fourtowns has baptisms from 1820 to 1897, no marriages before 1845. So might be worth checking Donaghmore Presbyterian in the hope that it was her church. If she was born c 1811 her baptism may be there. (But the marriage won’t be).  Copy of the church records is held in PRONI, Belfast.
Elwyn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 10 January 19 17:13 GMT (UK) »
Tradition was to marry in the bride’s church, so if she was Presbyterian then the 2 churches in Donaghmore are Donaghmore itself, and Fourtowns. Donaghmore has baptisms from 1804 – 1837 and then 1845 onwards but no marriages before 1845. Fourtowns has baptisms from 1820 to 1897, no marriages before 1845. So might be worth checking Donaghmore Presbyterian in the hope that it was her church. If she was born c 1811 her baptism may be there. (But the marriage won’t be).  Copy of the church records is held in PRONI, Belfast.

Thats fabulous - thank you so much for your detailed response!

Could I ask, are those records searchable online or would I need to head over to Belfast? Many thanks again

Online Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 10 January 19 18:51 GMT (UK) »
The records are not on-line anywhere so far as I know.  The copy in PRONI is on microfilm, so you either need to go yourself, or get a researcher to go for you (I can give you a link to Belfast based researchers, if you want) or you can ask PRONI to do the search. They will only do simple searches (eg one marriage with a known date). They won’t do trawling searches. E-mail them and ask if they’ll do a search and a price. They usually require payment in advance.
Elwyn