Author Topic: Messrs. Derham and Stroud of Bath  (Read 66 times)

Offline venelow

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Messrs. Derham and Stroud of Bath
« on: Monday 07 January 19 21:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rootschatters

Derham and Stroud appear in a trade directory as being Coffee Shop owners in Bath in the 18th Century. However, thanks to a book on 18th Century Bath by Trevor Fawcett, I have now discovered they were actually also wine merchants and involved in renting and running the New or Upper Assembly Rooms at Bath between 1782 and about 1811.
William Stroud married Henry's daughter Mary in Walcot Bath in Feb 1785 and joined his father in law at the Assembly Rooms in 1786. After Henry retired in 1796 William continued to his death in 1811.
Both men left PCC Wills. Henry's is about nine pages long and difficult to read in places. He mentions his wife Mary and his daughter Mary Stroud and his granddaughter Elizabeth Stroud. He also mentions his sister Sydenham (her married name I assume but no forename mentioned). 

On a page that is particularly difficult to read there seems to be mention of some people in Wiltshire and Berkshire who will have to prove their affinity to the satisfaction of his Executors.
Sounds like he was getting begging letters from distant relatives or people claiming to be related. His was very well off as page after page of the Will is about Trusts and houses he owned. He left his son in law a gold watch.

Henry added a codicil to his Will in July 1802 leaving a legacy to a friend in Middlesex.
The Will was proved at London on 25 Aug 1802. I have not found a burial for Henry.

William Stroud had five sons in addition to Elizabeth and he mentions the ages of all his children in his Will. The youngest was Joseph aged 15 years. He became a Church of England Clergyman. The entry in Oxford Alumni for Joseph states he was the son of William Stroud arm. but I have not found any William Stroud with a coat of arms so far.  The births of all William and Mary's children were registered at the Somerset Street Baptist Church in Bath.

A newspaper obituary for William states he died suddenly on August 3rd 1811 at Weston-super-Mare Somerset. It also mentions he had been in poor health for some years and the death of his wife a few months earlier had greatly affected his spirits.  He could have had connections with Weston but more probably went there for his health. I have not found a burial for William Stroud or his wife Mary. Unfortunately the obit. does not mention his age at death.

I have posted this information in the Common Room as it is quite likely Henry and William were not born in Bath or even Somerset. Does anyone have information about their origins or where they are buried?

Venelow
Canada

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.