Author Topic: Richard Morris - death in Queensland  (Read 1695 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Richard Morris - death in Queensland
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 10 January 19 01:38 GMT (UK) »
 :)  :)

Just an observation to share

From the following database:
https://www.familyhistorysa.org/colonists.html
MORRIS Richard, Mary Ann RUNDLE married 1853-03-27 at St Andrew, Walkerville, aged 22, 17
MORRIS Richard, Mary Ann RUNDLE, parents of child born 1853-08-04 named Eliza at Adelaide

1853 - 22 so born about 1830 -1832 for Richard

BUT from the link you provided,  Richard is c 1827 

And of course that observation simply does not help at all with the Qld BDM online index for that death registration #C1670, of 1885 as per Reply #1.

That 1885 d.c. could well be for your elusive chap,  but it also could well be for any other person who had been living or at least passing through Qld at that time, it is a death registered 'C' so not a marine death and not a death registered in the then district of Brisbane ... it could be an infant right through to an elderly person.

I do not have a death certificate. That is why I posted on the forum - to see if there was any other information out there before obtaining one. The reason I was interested in the death entry in QLD BMDs was because a newspaper article about his son's marriage in 1884 stating that Richard was 'late of Southport'. I know of two Southport's in Australia - one in Queensland and one in a beach area in South Australia near Port Noarlunga.

This page will provide you with the details that I have on his life - https://familypedia.wikia.com/wiki/Richard_Morris_(1827-c1884)

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 10 January 19 01:52 GMT (UK) »
Re 'late of Southport' in that 1884 newspaper announcement ...

I have not sighted that newspaper,  but here is a cutting for a different family but notice how it notes another Southport... 

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/184993413 21 June 1884, The Week, (Qld newspaper)...
...... On the 11th of June, at Brisbane, Mr.......... , late of Southport, England, aged .....

If you check your newspaper cutting for the son's marriage 1884 ... I am sure you will notice that 'late of ....' is indicating where that person most recently was known to be living .... and also if the mention of 'Southport' is NOT followed by either the name of the colony or England, then the locality of 'Southport' is likely to be the one well known to those people reading that paper at that time, ie to be the one in that same colony that the newspaper is published in ....

Hope that helps, ....

ADD,  is the newspaper available online for 1884 ie the year that the son married...

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline eramophla

• RootsChat Senior
  • Hello from Australia.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 10 January 19 02:15 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your observation.  :) You are correct about his birthdate - I have not had a chance to update it on the article yet. I have a theory about his early life based on this birthdate, but am yet to investigate in any detail - http://members.iinet.net.au/~perthdps/convicts/park10.html

In regards to the newspaper article about his son's marriage, here it is online - https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/35968847?searchTerm=%22William%20morris%22            &searchLimits=l-state=South+Australia|||l-decade=188|||l-year=1884

I have not been able to locate a death record for Richard in South Australia.
Ireland- Harpur, Copeland, Longridge, Hayes
Devon- Underdown, Pennington, Cox, Bishop, Harding
Cornwall- Teague, Rowe, Long, Bray, Trounson, James, Bosanko, Jewell, Pollard, Rundle, Mutton, Hand, Floyd, Rodda
Suffolk- Mills, Bird
Essex- Mills, Kent, Ruffell
Glamorgan, Wales- Morgan, David, Jones, Thomas, Watkins, Morris

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 10 January 19 02:25 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that link   :)

May I suggest that it is informing us that William, of Southport,  when marrying believed his father was already deceased.  ... as though some of those commas are being used as parentheses

MARRIAGES.
MORRIS—STABERNACK—On the 4th October, at St. Luke's, by the Rev. Archdeacon Farr, William
Morris, son of the late Richard Morris, of Southport, to Minny Stabernack, of Lobethal.

.... William Morris, (son of the late Richard Morris,) of Southport, to Minny ....

JM

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 10 January 19 02:28 GMT (UK) »
That has Richard deceased by Oct 1884. The Qld death is 1885, so can’t be him.

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 10 January 19 02:47 GMT (UK) »
Was Albert born, 1876, their last child?

Do you have wife Mary Ann’s death?

Added: Just read info on the link you provided, so my questions answered.

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline eramophla

• RootsChat Senior
  • Hello from Australia.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 10 January 19 22:40 GMT (UK) »
Thanks again for the questions and advice anyone.

If anyone happens to stumble upon a death for a Richard Morris between 1876 and 1884 that appears to match, I would greatly appreciate if you would let me know.  ;D
Ireland- Harpur, Copeland, Longridge, Hayes
Devon- Underdown, Pennington, Cox, Bishop, Harding
Cornwall- Teague, Rowe, Long, Bray, Trounson, James, Bosanko, Jewell, Pollard, Rundle, Mutton, Hand, Floyd, Rodda
Suffolk- Mills, Bird
Essex- Mills, Kent, Ruffell
Glamorgan, Wales- Morgan, David, Jones, Thomas, Watkins, Morris

Offline Ebova

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 10 January 21 00:01 GMT (UK) »
Please note that many links to Familypedia somehow miss the closing parenthesis (which is a standard feature of pages for individuals and some place-names). If you follow one and get told that the page does not exist, check the URL and add the ")" if it has been cut off.

:)  :)

Just an observation to share

From the following database:
https://www.familyhistorysa.org/colonists.html
MORRIS Richard, Mary Ann RUNDLE married 1853-03-27 at St Andrew, Walkerville, aged 22, 17
MORRIS Richard, Mary Ann RUNDLE, parents of child born 1853-08-04 named Eliza at Adelaide

1853 - 22 so born about 1830 -1832 for Richard

BUT from the link you provided,  Richard is c 1827 

And of course that observation simply does not help at all with the Qld BDM online index for that death registration #C1670, of 1885 as per Reply #1.

That 1885 d.c. could well be for your elusive chap,  but it also could well be for any other person who had been living or at least passing through Qld at that time, it is a death registered 'C' so not a marine death and not a death registered in the then district of Brisbane ... it could be an infant right through to an elderly person.

I do not have a death certificate. That is why I posted on the forum - to see if there was any other information out there before obtaining one. The reason I was interested in the death entry in QLD BMDs was because a newspaper article about his son's marriage in 1884 stating that Richard was 'late of Southport'. I know of two Southport's in Australia - one in Queensland and one in a beach area in South Australia near Port Noarlunga.

This page will provide you with the details that I have on his life - https://familypedia.wikia.com/wiki/Richard_Morris_(1827-c1884)

JM