Author Topic: It isn't just stolen photographs.... !!  (Read 1719 times)

Offline Amberella

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
It isn't just stolen photographs.... !!
« on: Tuesday 08 January 19 02:11 GMT (UK) »
It isn't just photographs that are being "used" without asking permission!!  I have found researching many of the branches of my maternal & paternal family trees that EVERYONE seems to have "lifted" the family trees from ONE family tree - mistakes and all.  I'm sitting there with the Clark family Bible for instance messaging so many people who have gotten it wrong & I finally gave up.  People just don't seem to cross-check what they're taking as "facts" with what the records actually say. They also don't seem to put themselves back in the time & think about the fact that if someone was born in Reading, Berkshire, in 1790 there's a good chance that they did NOT marry someone in Welshpool, 50 or miles away! Long way to walk or take a cart!

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: It isn't just stolen photographs.... !!
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 08 January 19 02:36 GMT (UK) »
I think we all know the site you're talking about, and it's designed to allow users to do just that and then claim the 'lifted' tree as a source.   

Other people's trees can sometimes be helpful as a guide - subject to my own fact-checking - but personally if I see a tree with any obvious copying I immediately dismiss it & certainly wouldn't waste my time contacting the owner.  If you do get any replies, be prepared for them saying it's you that's wrong  ::)
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Runaway Bride! Thanks to Paula Too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 08 January 19 03:23 GMT (UK) »
I once put a fake name with a little fake info, and a photo in my tree, just for fun!  Loads of people added her to their tree!!  It's naughty I was!  Tch Tch!!
"We analyse the evidence to draw a conclusion. The better the sources and information, the stronger the evidence, which leads to a reliable conclusion!" Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

MATHEWS, Ireland, England, USA & Canada, NZ
FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
DOUGLAS, Scotland, Ireland, NZ
WALKER,   Scotland
WATSON,  England, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
McAUGHTRIE, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
MASON,     Scotland, England, NZ
& Connections

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 08 January 19 09:28 GMT (UK) »
They also don't seem to put themselves back in the time & think about the fact that if someone was born in Reading, Berkshire, in 1790 there's a good chance that they did NOT marry someone in Welshpool, 50 or miles away! Long way to walk or take a cart!

I know what you are trying to say ie. that they will match up couples from anywhere if they can't find a better match closer to home but they did travel these distances in those days.   
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Yonks Ago

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 08 January 19 09:41 GMT (UK) »
So agree "It isn't just stolen photographs"..its work of "YOURS" that you have put so much time and money into your work. You wouldn't stop a 3rd cousin and say here's so many $'s for you..
just a real gripe of mine..I look at other peoples trees, to use as a tool and do the checking myself 99% of the time its wrong..
Grrrrrrrrrr

Yonks
Kilgallon Langdon Nicol Bolger Smith Carlisle Thomas Delahide Blackman Harley Amphlett Scarbourgh Murrish Oats Tonkin Aveyard Armitage Child Fox Bland Gomersal Mountain Gelder Harrison Armstrong Laws Steel Main Lambert Law Laws Christie Kirk Bell Black Amphlett Barclay Harley Dewar Rodger Fortune McCann Nealis Sutherland Rumgay

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Runaway Bride! Thanks to Paula Too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 08 January 19 20:04 GMT (UK) »
Yes, you're so right about that Yonks!  When you think about it, so many hours searching, buying records, documenting, printing, writing your own stuff, stories etc. etc. to add to your tree, and the money spent on subs, paper and ink if we are making paper copies for out files!  It certainly all  adds up. And there can always be those moments of stress when we have looked for the same thing over and over again, to break down those stubborn brick walls, and we just can't locate them! 
"We analyse the evidence to draw a conclusion. The better the sources and information, the stronger the evidence, which leads to a reliable conclusion!" Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

MATHEWS, Ireland, England, USA & Canada, NZ
FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
DOUGLAS, Scotland, Ireland, NZ
WALKER,   Scotland
WATSON,  England, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
McAUGHTRIE, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
MASON,     Scotland, England, NZ
& Connections

Offline Amberella

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 08 January 19 20:09 GMT (UK) »
I once put a fake name with a little fake info, and a photo in my tree, just for fun!  Loads of people added her to their tree!!  It's naughty I was!  Tch Tch!!

What a hoot!!  I think some people do genealogy for the "bragging rights" rather than out of interest!  I grew up with all sorts of stories about various relatives so when I retired I started tracking them all down.  Amazingly enough, I was able to trace some ancestors using the leads from the stories!

Offline Amberella

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 08 January 19 20:11 GMT (UK) »
So agree "It isn't just stolen photographs"..its work of "YOURS" that you have put so much time and money into your work. You wouldn't stop a 3rd cousin and say here's so many $'s for you..
just a real gripe of mine..I look at other peoples trees, to use as a tool and do the checking myself 99% of the time its wrong..
Grrrrrrrrrr

Yonks

I now never go by anyone elses' trees now, only those of my cousin because I know she makes sure everything is well-documented & logical. 

Offline Amberella

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 08 January 19 20:15 GMT (UK) »
They also don't seem to put themselves back in the time & think about the fact that if someone was born in Reading, Berkshire, in 1790 there's a good chance that they did NOT marry someone in Welshpool, 50 or miles away! Long way to walk or take a cart!

I know what you are trying to say ie. that they will match up couples from anywhere if they can't find a better match closer to home but they did travel these distances in those days.

One thing I've learned about my ancestors on BOTH sides of the family.  They NEVER seemed to move or find a spouse more than 10 miles from their home!!!  In fact, on my mother's side their spouses usually lived just down the street!  The other thing I found is that, bless their little hides, the middle forename is usually the mother's maiden name so you have an instant lead to the mother's name to search for the marriage details!  With one exception - Ann Carter for whom there is no information except that she married by umpteen-great grandfather.