Author Topic: Mary Emma Williams death  (Read 3172 times)

Offline eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Emma Williams death
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 08 January 19 16:04 GMT (UK) »
Also, there are no death certificates in Quebec in that timeframe ... as you have noted, all of the BMDs were handled by the church.

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 08 January 19 16:27 GMT (UK) »
Looks like Mary Emma is in Mount Royal Cemetery.  For a fee of 5 dollars, they will send you the information they have --

https://www.mountroyalcem.com/index.php/en/our-services/genealogy-menu.html

RK

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 08 January 19 16:49 GMT (UK) »
I see that Howard died on July 28 1921 and is buried in the Toronto Necropolis

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HT-6W9S-MPG?i=1131&cc=1307826

His wife Janet died just a few weeks earlier than he did (June 1, 1921)

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HT-6W9S-7R2?i=837&cc=1307826

A possible theory... ???
Maybe Mary died around 1911.  The family moved to Toronto in the same time frame.   Perhaps they didn't get around to ordering a headstone until much later??   Maybe even after Howard had died - so the children were responsible?  The headstone date could be an error?

Hopefully the cemetery can give you a date of death/burial. 

RK

Offline Amberella

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 08 January 19 19:51 GMT (UK) »
What cemetery is she buried in. Have you tried contacting them to findout more info?  A family tree at Geni.com has a death date of March 4, 1904 for Mary.  There are some Unitarian records for Montreal online at Ancestry and I've checked through the 1904 records but did not find her.  Also, the 1901 census says they were Methodists.

Mount Royal cemetery is going by what's on the headstone.  I don't put much credit in online family trees. I've found that people aren't that careful checking - they just "lift" from someone else's tree. I got lead astray by that decades ago for my mother's family tree.  I went for about 2 years trying to trace using hints from other's trees & finally figured out that these family trees had been slapped together willy-nilly!! It also helped that I had a good many of the original BMD certificates. So now unless I see the actual record, I just ignore them!

Offline eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 08 January 19 19:54 GMT (UK) »
I understand what you're saying, but since you don't have an actual date for her death, you have to start somewhere.  Also, the cemetery record should give you a date of burial which may or may not match what's on the headstone.

Offline Amberella

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 08 January 19 20:06 GMT (UK) »
I understand what you're saying, but since you don't have an actual date for her death, you have to start somewhere.  Also, the cemetery record should give you a date of burial which may or may not match what's on the headstone.

Been there, done that & they went by the headstone!!  And I have a photo of the headstone from the last time I was in Montreal & it still says "1903"!!   It's something, along with all the other mysterious ancestors, that I'll leave for a few months & see if more records come online!

Offline eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 08 January 19 20:14 GMT (UK) »
There is a Pete Bowen on Geni.com that is descended from this couple and has a tree online. You should perhaps try and contact him.

Offline Amberella

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 08 January 19 20:21 GMT (UK) »
There is a Pete Bowen on Geni.com that is descended from this couple and has a tree online. You should perhaps try and contact him.

Do you have a link?  Up until my generation, there were absolutely NO Petes in the records but could be he's a Millennial offspring!?

Offline eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile