Author Topic: Marriage LICENCES  (Read 1743 times)

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage LICENCES
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 09 January 19 11:08 GMT (UK) »
Always good to obtain a copy of the Bond and Allegation (Licence was passed to the church) for the licence.  They will usually give a little more information, ages might not be definite, i.e. aged 21 and upwards, but you will usually find an occupation for the groom.  The names of the Bondsmen may also give you further insight.

Hello Amberella

The Marriage Allegation and the Marriage Bond are in effect the Application and Oaths to get a Licence.

Every family historian who finds a Marriage by Lic / Licence ought to endeavour to obtain copies of both the Marriage Allegation and also the Marriage Bond where they survive.

A Bondsman might be related or a known associate to one of the couple.

Ages given for example "23 and upwards" usually appears to be their ages they gave (23 years).

Also their Marital status, where an early Register does not state it.

A book I have Tracing Your Family History by Anthony Adolph, p.100 (Indexed) says:-
"Be aware that, between September 1822 and March 1823 only, both couples had to produce evidence of baptism or an equivalent Certificate proving their age: these will be found with the allegation and are well worth seeking."

It would seem at least one party to the couple had to prove when and where they were baptised or born, unless between Sept 1822 and March 1823 when both had to.

In one Scarborough Marriage Bond (No Allegation) for a Mariner who was likely to be away for long periods, there was a paragraph on the reverse of the Marriage Bond, giving ages and occupation (snippets here) and a reference to whom the Licence was given to ...

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=783033.msg6376568#msg6376568

Bear in mind a party/parties to the Marriage with a parent / parents who is/are Nonconformist/s is unlikely to have had a Parish Baptism and this can be one reason for requiring a Licence and the fact that they may not want their Banns read in Church (for either Privacy, that they did not want to wait for Banns, or that they did NOT attend the Parish Church), so opted for a Licence due to one or several of these reasons.

Nonconformism is the refusal to conform to the C of E / Anglican or attend the Parish church. Research in some Towns and Townships indicate the first Erected dates of these Nonconformist Chapels were originally opened late 17th Century or during the 18th Century and some had followers in the area before the Chapel even opened in the locality.

Presbyterian / English Presbyterian (England & Wales)
Wesleyan / Wesleyan Methodist
Independent
(there are more)
Catholic (Up until the Catholic Relief Act allowing them to Legally Marry in their own churches).

The Marriage Act 1753, full title "An Act for the Better Preventing of Clandestine Marriage", popularly known as Lord Hardwicke's Marriage Act, forced the above and Nonconformists to marry in a Parish Church, until the Law was relaxed.

Jews and Quakers had their own Wedding arrangements.

When you see "Lic" or "Licence" or any other secondary record mentioned in any document, I personally would always obtain a copy, (ages are important and not always in the Marriage Register) and until the Allegation & Bond are both seen, you don't know what snippet/s (if any) of further information lurk in them?

In the case of Marriage Licences, go for the Allegation and Bond, as these are the Oaths and part of the application process. In my Marriage cases the Licences haven't survived as I have asked for them too.

If one happens to be under the age of 21, a parent (or relative where the parents are deceased, or away on business e.g. Mariner) may be a signatory?

Mark

Offline Amberella

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage LICENCES
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 09 January 19 16:24 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for that information - much appreciated!  I came across the topic of Marriage Allegations & Bonds just yesterday & was going to check it out today.  One ancestor in a different branch, had a Sarum Marriage Bond & it gave quite a bit of information; it finally dawned on me that a MAMB would most likely be worthwhile to explore. 

Now all I have to do is find out where these might exist for marriages done by licence.  Let's hope something surfaces because I now have more brick walls than I'd like!  It took me 3 years, & some extraordinarily helpful people in Ivybridge, Devon, to finally figure out where a g-g-uncle had disappeared to after his parents died so for me, it's never say never!!