Author Topic: Eastwick - near Ellesmere - a Locality or a Township  (Read 267 times)

Offline Lins_Australia

• RootsChat Extra
  • Retired
    • View Profile
Eastwick - near Ellesmere - a Locality or a Township
« on: Tuesday 08 January 19 05:13 GMT (UK) »
Can some local knowledge please advise re Eastwick "a township in Ellesmere parish".
Genuki has :
" EASTWICK, a township in the parish of Ellesmere, county Salop, 1 mile from Ellesmere."

But Edward Cassey & Co - History Gazeteer and History of Shropshire has:
"Eastwick is 2 and a half miles north-west from Ellesmere and contains 503 acres.  In this parish is an extensive tannery, the property of Mr Randle Jones."

The 1841 census has numerous families - both agicultural and tradesmen - as being at Eastwick.  Including at least two shoemakers.
So it is more than just a locality name I assume ?

Modern maps only get me to Eastwick Farm when I search for "Eastwick" - and even looking at old maps - I dont see it as a "township".

My John Davies born about 1730 - a corviser / corvisor (boot and shoemaker) - may have located himself there due the leather tanning in that area.
Curious that this trade is closer to the source material - than to his customers ?

John Davies burial record of 1777 at Ellesmere has him as being 'of Eastwick".

His two children were baptised at Ellesmere with their location being noted as being of Eastwick - and his daughter Mary Davies (1771 - 1838) - as Mary Parry - retired to Eastwick from Chester in her last years - and her Ellesmere burial record has her as being of Eastwick although the death certificate has her death at Dudleston Heath.

Lindsay / South Australia

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Eastwick - near Ellesmere - a Locality or a Township
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 08 January 19 07:44 GMT (UK) »
In 1871 Randle Jones age 30  a Tanner employing 4 men was living at Gadlass in the township of Eastwick - I think as marked on this map as a tannery to the south of the property of Eastwick https://maps.nls.uk/view/101593474#zoom=4&lat=3565&lon=4416&layers=BT  So it looks like the township covered a fair area

Kay

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Lins_Australia

• RootsChat Extra
  • Retired
    • View Profile
Re: Eastwick - near Ellesmere - a Locality or a Township
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 09 January 19 06:41 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Kay for a map that at least shows Eastwick in 1874.
From that map it seems that the 2.5 miles from Ellesmere is more accurate than Genuki with their 1 mile.
(And so close to Overton / Flintshire - which now has to be considered in my research.)
The 30yo Randle Jones you mention in the 1871 census - was the son of John Jones - who was the 'reputed' son of John Jones 1772 - 1840.
The brothers John Jones 1772-1840 and Randle Jones 1778-1841 - left substantial bequests in their wills - with the 'reputed' son John Jones born in Chester inheriting the bulk of their combined estates.
Both the brothers had died at Gadlas - with at least one of their tanneries being at Eastwick.
The 1841 census has the newly arrived John Jones as a 35yo Tanner (thanks to his inheritance) - at Eastwick - whereas in the wills dated 1840 - he was noted as being a Joiner and Carpenter of Chester.  Randle Jones had died in March 1841 - and the 1841 census was early June.

Lindsay