Author Topic: Eastwick - near Ellesmere - a Locality or a Township  (Read 722 times)

Offline Lins_Australia

• RootsChat Extra
  • Retired
    • View Profile
Eastwick - near Ellesmere - a Locality or a Township
« on: Tuesday 08 January 19 05:13 GMT (UK) »
Can some local knowledge please advise re Eastwick "a township in Ellesmere parish".
Genuki has :
" EASTWICK, a township in the parish of Ellesmere, county Salop, 1 mile from Ellesmere."

But Edward Cassey & Co - History Gazeteer and History of Shropshire has:
"Eastwick is 2 and a half miles north-west from Ellesmere and contains 503 acres.  In this parish is an extensive tannery, the property of Mr Randle Jones."

The 1841 census has numerous families - both agicultural and tradesmen - as being at Eastwick.  Including at least two shoemakers.
So it is more than just a locality name I assume ?

Modern maps only get me to Eastwick Farm when I search for "Eastwick" - and even looking at old maps - I dont see it as a "township".

My John Davies born about 1730 - a corviser / corvisor (boot and shoemaker) - may have located himself there due the leather tanning in that area.
Curious that this trade is closer to the source material - than to his customers ?

John Davies burial record of 1777 at Ellesmere has him as being 'of Eastwick".

His two children were baptised at Ellesmere with their location being noted as being of Eastwick - and his daughter Mary Davies (1771 - 1838) - as Mary Parry - retired to Eastwick from Chester in her last years - and her Ellesmere burial record has her as being of Eastwick although the death certificate has her death at Dudleston Heath.

Lindsay / South Australia

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Eastwick - near Ellesmere - a Locality or a Township
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 08 January 19 07:44 GMT (UK) »
In 1871 Randle Jones age 30  a Tanner employing 4 men was living at Gadlass in the township of Eastwick - I think as marked on this map as a tannery to the south of the property of Eastwick https://maps.nls.uk/view/101593474#zoom=4&lat=3565&lon=4416&layers=BT  So it looks like the township covered a fair area

Kay

Offline Lins_Australia

• RootsChat Extra
  • Retired
    • View Profile
Re: Eastwick - near Ellesmere - a Locality or a Township
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 09 January 19 06:41 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Kay for a map that at least shows Eastwick in 1874.
From that map it seems that the 2.5 miles from Ellesmere is more accurate than Genuki with their 1 mile.
(And so close to Overton / Flintshire - which now has to be considered in my research.)
The 30yo Randle Jones you mention in the 1871 census - was the son of John Jones - who was the 'reputed' son of John Jones 1772 - 1840.
The brothers John Jones 1772-1840 and Randle Jones 1778-1841 - left substantial bequests in their wills - with the 'reputed' son John Jones born in Chester inheriting the bulk of their combined estates.
Both the brothers had died at Gadlas - with at least one of their tanneries being at Eastwick.
The 1841 census has the newly arrived John Jones as a 35yo Tanner (thanks to his inheritance) - at Eastwick - whereas in the wills dated 1840 - he was noted as being a Joiner and Carpenter of Chester.  Randle Jones had died in March 1841 - and the 1841 census was early June.

Lindsay