Author Topic: Robert William Cox of Waterford  (Read 985 times)

Offline Woolbah

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Robert William Cox of Waterford
« on: Tuesday 08 January 19 05:17 GMT (UK) »
Looking for anything on Robert William Cox born Waterford 1800 and transported to Australia in 1825 after a trial in Dublin in 1824. He was educated and gave his profession as an attorney/lawyer and after receiving his Ticket to Freedom in 1831 worked in Sydney as a merchant's clerk.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Robert William Cox of Waterford
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 08 January 19 10:40 GMT (UK) »
Was he charged with bigamy?
There is a case of a Robert Fox in 1824 but it doesn't say where he was from, his occupation or any family information. Both marriages were carried out by Joseph Woods, a degraded clergyman so unlikely any records survive, the parents of the second woman did however insist on a second ceremony by a proper clergymen so a record of that might still survive.

Offline Woolbah

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 08 January 19 12:01 GMT (UK) »
Did you mean Cox or Fox. My Robert William Cox was sentenced to 7 years transportation, the lightest possible sentence. In 1840 he married. If he was a bigamist this charge would be on his record and would have been well known to the authorities. He would have had to satisfy them that he was legally divorced from any legal wife or that she had died before getting the necessary approval. He had been living with and had produced two children with his new wife before 1840. The delay in marrying could be because one or the other or both had to be able to prove they were free to do so.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 08 January 19 12:21 GMT (UK) »
Sorry yes I meant Cox.
I couldn't find any thing about his sentence so I'm not sure this man was deported.
If it's not on his charge sheet it may not be the same man.
Not entirely sure he would have to prove his first wife was dead or divorced from him, (although in this case it say she was a mature lady) there was some allowance after seven years a marriage was considered over when one of the couple was deported and world not return home. I don't know the details of this, it's something I read here on RootsChat.