Author Topic: James Walker Born Edinburgh 1860  (Read 2405 times)

Offline SandraEve

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
James Walker Born Edinburgh 1860
« on: Tuesday 08 January 19 07:24 GMT (UK) »
My Gr.Grandfather James Walker according to the 1891,1901,1911 Birmingham census' was born in Edinburgh in 1860, profession on all three census' Iron Moulder.  On my grandmothers birth certificate his profession states Iron Moulder Journeyman.  These are the only records I can find of him.  Can anyone help guide me to where I may find further records for example I presume as a journeyman he would have served an apprentice and do records still exist.  I presume he may have moved to Birmingham for work reasons.
To complicate matters I can find no marriage certificate for James Walker and my Gr.Grandmother Elizabeth Lyndon.  None of their children were baptised but Elizabeth Lyndon was so I presume James Walker was a non conformist.  On the 1891 census James Walker is living with Elizabeth Lyndons family as a lodger. The 1911 census states they had been married 20 years. I have spent hours searching Scottish and English records and have just hit a brick wall.  Many thanks for any help

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: James Walker Born Edinburgh 1860
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 08 January 19 10:49 GMT (UK) »
It helps us if you give census details or references for the census you have found, also some idea where and when the first child of the marriage was born with name.

Is this one of them

WALKER, JORDIE       mmn LYNDON     
GRO Reference: 1893  Sept Quarter in WARRINGTON  Volume 08C  Page 255   

Possible other child before that
WALKER, MARGARET  ELIZABETH     mmn LYNDON     
GRO Reference: 1891  Sept Quarter in ASTON  Volume 06D  Page 391   

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 08 January 19 11:04 GMT (UK) »
So we can see the family
1901 Piece 2847 f99 p50 - Birmingham
James Walker   39 bn Edinburgh, Scotland
Elizabeth Walker 39 bn Birmingham
Margaret E Walker 9 bn Birmingham
George Walker   7 bn Warrington
Isabella Walker   5 bn Birmingham
Florence Walker   3 bn Birmingham
Kate Walker   4 bn Birmingham

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 08 January 19 11:10 GMT (UK) »
Finally found them in 1891 RG12/2437 f69 p44 Aston   ;D

Elizabeths mother is Hannah Harrison - widow
Elizabeth is still single (surname Lyndon) age 29
James is age 30 bn Scotland (no mention of Edinburgh) He is also single
plus siblings of Elizabeth

At least we know that Elizabeth was using the surname Lyndon at this point

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 08 January 19 11:42 GMT (UK) »
To complicate matters I can find no marriage certificate for James Walker and my Gr.Grandmother Elizabeth Lyndon.  None of their children were baptised but Elizabeth Lyndon was so I presume James Walker was a non conformist.
Be careful using the term 'non conformist' in relation to Scotland. A 'non conformist' is specifically someone who did not conform to the Church of England, which has never had a presence in Scotland (yes, I know there was at least one C of E congregation in Scotland for a time in the 19th century but the C of E as a denomination did not). So the term 'non conformist' is meaningless in relation to Scotland, and will only serve to confuse matters.

As your James Walker was born in Scotland after the start of statutory civil registration in Scotland in 1855, it would be far easier to find his birth certificate than a baptism.

So, he said in 1891 that he was 30, and in 1901 that he was 39. Assuming that his age was accurate, he would have been born between 1860 and 1862. I cannot find in the 1881 census in southern Scotland a James Walker born in Midlothian (County of Edinburgh) between 1859 and 1863 with an occupation that resembles an iron moulder. Could he have moved to England in time for the 1881 census? 
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 08 January 19 13:46 GMT (UK) »
There is this entry on the 1881 English census for a 20 yr old James Walker b. Scotland and a moulder by occupation https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:Q27K-LGXG

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline SandraEve

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 08 January 19 14:32 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for the information on non-conformists Scotland and pointing out my error.
i will in future put census reference details
Yes Walker Margaret Elizabeth GRO 1891 volume 6D page 291 is the daughter of James Walker and Elizabeth Lyndon. I have the birth certificate.

I feel sure that Walker Jordie is the George Walker, the second child I have been searching for.
GRO Reference: 1893  Sept Quarter in WARRINGTON  Volume 08C  Page 255 

1901 Piece 2847 f99 p50 - Birmingham
George Walker 7 bn Warrington.
I tried Georgie and similar but not Jordie
Thank you so much for that. I will order the birth certificate to be sure.

I also thought James Walker may have moved to Birmingham by the 1881 census but I have been unable to find a James Walker, iron moulder or similar occupation about the correct age born Edinburgh  on 1881 census for Birmingham.  I also checked the 1881 census for areas en route from Edinburgh towards the midlands.

Could James be his second name.  If his first name was the same as his fathers he may have used James instead.

I am thinking I should try searching for James Walkers born Edinburgh 1859-1862 and try to trace each one through the census'

Sandra

I have just seen your post re 1881 census Monica thank you, it surely must be him

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 08 January 19 15:37 GMT (UK) »
I am thinking I should try searching for James Walkers born Edinburgh 1859-1862 and try to trace each one through the census
It might yet come to that.

I would search for all of Midlothian, because you don't know whether that English census listing means he was born in the city of Edinburgh or in the county of Edinburgh, i.e. Midlothian.

You can get a list of James Walkers born in Midlothian 1859-1862 in the IGI at  https://www.familysearch.org/search/collection/igi and you should be able to use the free access version of the LDS transcription of the 1881 census at www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk to eliminate some (most?) of them.

For the rest, you will need to check the 1871 census, and also deaths of young James Walkers on Scotland's People.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline SandraEve

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 11 January 19 05:28 GMT (UK) »
"I would search for all of Midlothian, because you don't know whether that English census listing means he was born in the city of Edinburgh or in the county of Edinburgh, i.e. Midlothian.
You can get a list of James Walkers born in Midlothian 1859-1862 in the IGI at  https://www.familysearch.org/search/collection/igi and you should be able to use the free access version of the LDS transcription of the 1881 census at www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk to eliminate some (most?) of them.
For the rest, you will need to check the 1871 census, and also deaths of young James Walkers on Scotland's People."

Thank you for this guidance. I did not know the LDS 1881census was free to access on Scotlands People. I have found a number of James Walker on the IGI at Family Search but when I checked the1881 Scotland census I was unable to eliminate any of them as most of the James Walker were living as lodgers and so could not check parentage. I will check the 1871census and death records.