Author Topic: Looking for Andrew Lindsay  (Read 1858 times)

Offline aspin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • What a Lad What a miss
    • View Profile
Looking for Andrew Lindsay
« on: Tuesday 08 January 19 10:03 GMT (UK) »
William Lindsay born 1876 Kirriemuir Married Jane M Nicoll in 1900 they had nine children
I have their marriage from Scotland people along with some of their children I  have
William born 1903 ( birth Certificate and John's Born 1902 and Janet Robie 1908 marriage in 1932 cannot find her birth  and cannot find the other six of the siblings
Alice, Catherine and Andrew I've been told there was an Ann too who may have died an infant
also some of the family emigrated to South Africa Andrew included
Is there any one out there can help me please I cannot find them in 1911 census as a family of so many
Elizabeth
McKenzie,Helmsdale.,Mackay's,Gordon's,Polsons,Sutherland's,Loth & N/Z .Watson ,Munro,Pitsligo.Black. Harle ,East Hollywell.Black,and Short East Hollywell.Northumberland Gair, Amble,Douglas,Amble,Mitchell ,Fettercairns,Lyall, Brechin .Mearns Brechin.Thompson's ,Spittal. Maghie,Young .Raey Cumberland & Newcastle & Glasgow .Gilroy, Northumberland. Stark's Kyloe & Tweedmouth .Skeen's Tweedmouth.Gregsons Northumberland & America. Andrew Farmer Turnbull Berwick , Pool and Black Hull.Lounton Tweedmouth

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Andrew Lindsay
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 08 January 19 10:33 GMT (UK) »

1901 1 Mill St Kirriemuir, Angus   
William Lindsay    24
Jane Lindsay    20
Jane Lindsay    2mo

1911 on SP family are in Tannadice, Angus

William & Jane with 4 children including Jane above & Andrew

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 08 January 19 10:56 GMT (UK) »
Can you maybe add a bit more information?

How old were they when they married and who were their parents?

Were John b 1902 and William b 1903 both born in Kirriemuir? I can see a birth in Kirriemuir of a William Lindsay in 1903, but no John in 1902. There is a Jane Nicoll Lindsay in 1901 and a John Nicoll Lindsay in 1904.

How do you know that there were 9 children?

I see that Janet Robie Lindsay married a Leslie in 1932, and that a Janet Robbie Lindsay or Leslie died in Lesmahagow in 1997 aged 88. This fits with the birth of Janet Robbie Lindsay in Tannadice in 1908. I suggest looking at that birth certificate.

I also suggest looking at the 1911 census in Tannadice, where the SP index says that there is a family consisting of William, 34; Jane, 30; Jane, 10; William, 8; John, 6; Andrew, 4; and Janet, 2.

Andrew Lyon Lindsay was born in Tannadice in 1906.

Anne Lindsay, aged 5, died in Forfar in 1917. Could this be your Ann? There is a birth of an Annie Lindsay in Forfar in 1911 who would fit.

An Alice Stewart Lindsay, other surname Keay, mother's surname Nicoll, died in Peebles in 2002 aged 82. This matches an Alice Stewart Lindsay born in Dunnichen in 1920, and there is a marriage of Alice Stewart Lindsay to Ramsay Fred Keay in Rescobie in 1949.

Jean Nicol Lindsay, mother's surname Nicol, died in Edinburgh in 1992 aged 91. This could be your Jane Nicoll Lindsay.

A Catherine Porter Lindsay was born in Kirriemuir in 1917 and there is a marriage of Catherine Porter Lindsay to Hugh Cameron in Aberlemno in 1945.

There are other Lindsays with mother's surname Nicol* in the deaths index who might be worth a look.

Does Janet Robbie Lindsay's death certificate say that her parents were deceased?

That lot should give you something to work on. All of it from the indexes at www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 08 January 19 11:03 GMT (UK) »
You mention you have John in 1902 but have you considered the one below, he was 6 on 1911
Census Jane was 10 & Andrew 4

JANE NICOLL LINDSAY 1901 Kirriemuir
JOHN NICOLL LINDSAY 1904 Kirriemuir
ANDREW LYON LINDSAY 1906 Tannadice

Possible others on SP
CATHERINE PORTE LINDSAY 1917 Kirriemuir
4 x Alice 1919/1920 elswhere in Angus
Several Ann/Annie’s

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline aspin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • What a Lad What a miss
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 08 January 19 12:28 GMT (UK) »
Thank you both for your quick reply sorry I had the birth dates wrong for William and John Nicoll Lindsay they were William 1903 and John Nicoll 1904 .....Their parents were William Lindsay aged 24 son of Stewart Lindsay and Catherine Porter and Jane M Nicoll aged 20 daughter of John Nicoll and Jessie Donaldson and there's another name I cannot make out on the certificate but looks like Robie
Elizabeth
McKenzie,Helmsdale.,Mackay's,Gordon's,Polsons,Sutherland's,Loth & N/Z .Watson ,Munro,Pitsligo.Black. Harle ,East Hollywell.Black,and Short East Hollywell.Northumberland Gair, Amble,Douglas,Amble,Mitchell ,Fettercairns,Lyall, Brechin .Mearns Brechin.Thompson's ,Spittal. Maghie,Young .Raey Cumberland & Newcastle & Glasgow .Gilroy, Northumberland. Stark's Kyloe & Tweedmouth .Skeen's Tweedmouth.Gregsons Northumberland & America. Andrew Farmer Turnbull Berwick , Pool and Black Hull.Lounton Tweedmouth

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 08 January 19 13:07 GMT (UK) »
Thank you both for your quick reply sorry I had the birth dates wrong for William and John Nicoll Lindsay they were William 1903 and John Nicoll 1904 .....Their parents were William Lindsay aged 24 son of Stewart Lindsay and Catherine Porter and Jane M Nicoll aged 20 daughter of John Nicoll and Jessie Donaldson and there's another name I cannot make out on the certificate but looks like Robie
Elizabeth
So that Catherine Porter Lindsay has to be the Catherine you are looking for. And Alice's middle name also fits, though you won't be able to look at her certificates online. (You could see them if you took a day trip to the Scotland's People Centre in Edinburgh.)

Might be an idea to post an excerpt from the Lindsay/Nicoll marriage certificate to see if we can decipher Jessie's surname - was she perhaps Jessie Lindsay, now Donaldson, maiden surname Robie? A Jessie Robbie married John Nicoll in Kettins in 1874, and a Jessie Robbie married Robert Donaldson in Kirriemuir in 1890. Jessie Livingst* Nicoll or Donaldson or Robbie died in Kirriemuir in 1914 aged 56.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline aspin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • What a Lad What a miss
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 08 January 19 20:40 GMT (UK) »
I have had a look at the death for Ann (Anne ) aged 5 1917 and her father is an Andrew G Lindsay from Forfar she is not this family no bother
Thank all the same I do appreciate everything
Elizabeth

Offline aspin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • What a Lad What a miss
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 13 January 19 22:13 GMT (UK) »
You mention you have John in 1902 but have you considered the one below, he was 6 on 1911
Census Jane was 10 & Andrew 4

JANE NICOLL LINDSAY 1901 Kirriemuir
JOHN NICOLL LINDSAY 1904 Kirriemuir
ANDREW LYON LINDSAY 1906 Tannadice

Possible others on SP
CATHERINE PORTE LINDSAY 1917 Kirriemuir
4 x Alice 1919/1920 elswhere in Angus
Several Ann/Annie’s

Colin
Where can I find Jean ( Jane ) Lindsay's nee Nicoll's death in Edinburgh 1992  I have looked in Scotlandpeople but cannot find it  Elizabeth

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 13 January 19 22:21 GMT (UK) »
Where can I find Jean ( Jane ) Lindsay's nee Nicoll's death in Edinburgh 1992  I have looked in Scotlandpeople but cannot find it 
She is on SP, listed as Jean Nicol Lindsay, mother Nicol. Not Jane, and not Nicoll with a double L. Registered in Morningside 1992/744/555, aged 91. Her other surname was Badger.

Jean Nicol Lindsay and George F Badger were married in Forfar in 1942. You can get that marriage certificate online.