Author Topic: Immigration to Sydney - are these two together?  (Read 958 times)

Offline bugbear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Immigration to Sydney - are these two together?
« on: Tuesday 08 January 19 10:12 GMT (UK) »
 Two people from Suffolk who emigrated to Sydney Australia, and stayed, and died there.

1) Howard Robert Leach, b1855, Sproughton Suffolk.

In Diss May 1888, but running a gunsmith at 602 George St, Brickfield Hill, Sydney by Feb of 1890. Died 1927.

2) Herbert Kirby, b1870, Wortham, Suffolk.
Still in Wortham, aged 10, 1881.

Married Anna V Silk in Sydney, 1893. Died 1954.

Both men were in the retail hardware/ironmongers' trade.

I THINK they emigrated together, and that the younger Kirby worked for the older Leach, at least until Leach's shop burnt down in 1894. But I cannot prove it.

My Australian record skills are weak - most of this came from newspaper reports on Trove.

Can anyone tie these men together?

For people with Ancestry access, these are links to the two men, in Public trees;

Leach:
https://www.ancestry.co.uk/family-tree/person/tree/40360735/person/28889613955/facts?_phsrc=IQz7618&_phstart=successSource

Kirby:
https://www.ancestry.co.uk/family-tree/person/tree/106773727/person/352023436471/facts?_phsrc=IQz7616&_phstart=successSource

BugBear
BICE Middlesex
WOMACK Norfolk/Suffolk

Offline bugbear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Immigration to Sydney - are these two together?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 08 January 19 10:16 GMT (UK) »
This is the link I wish to confirm with contemporaneous records; it's from Kirby Obit in 1954

So

1870 - birth
1884 - Apprenticed
1889 - Emigrated to Australia
1891, April Joined "Leech" at Brickfield hill.

Howard Robert "Leach" had a gunshop at 602, George St, Brickfield Hill, Sydney from 18 Feb 1890 onwards.

BugBear
BICE Middlesex
WOMACK Norfolk/Suffolk

Offline shume

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 08 January 19 11:07 GMT (UK) »
From https://data.qld.gov.au/dataset/assisted-immigration-1848-to-1912/resource/ee2826ce-9f3e-4130-b213-6ca170a349aa
Queensland Immigration records:
"Herbert Kirby age 19 per Eastminster to Qld ( from Plymouth to Maryborough) 21/3/1887"
No record of Howard Robert Leach in Qld shipping, nor NSW or Vic as far as I can find.
shume  australia
HUME: Fermanagh, Donegal,Sligo,Australia
PASFIELD: Essex, London
SHAW/STANLEY: Co Waterford,Ireland, Australia

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 08 January 19 11:25 GMT (UK) »
Nock & Kirby ... that was a famous firm in Sydney .... 

I will look further tomorrow,  but likely there will be plenty of info online ...

JM 2224 hrs.
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline bugbear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 08 January 19 11:31 GMT (UK) »
Nock & Kirby ... that was a famous firm in Sydney .... 

I will look further tomorrow,  but likely there will be plenty of info online ...

JM 2224 hrs.

yes - later information on "Nock & Kirby" is easy to find. Earlier information on Mr Kirby and My Leach - not so much :-(

BugBear
BICE Middlesex
WOMACK Norfolk/Suffolk

Offline bugbear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 08 January 19 11:45 GMT (UK) »
From https://data.qld.gov.au/dataset/assisted-immigration-1848-to-1912/resource/ee2826ce-9f3e-4130-b213-6ca170a349aa
Queensland Immigration records:
"Herbert Kirby age 19 per Eastminster to Qld ( from Plymouth to Maryborough) 21/3/1887"
No record of Howard Robert Leach in Qld shipping, nor NSW or Vic as far as I can find.
shume  australia
Looking at the image, it appears that this (2 years older) "Herbert Kirby" is from York (or possibly Yorkshire). The match with "my" Herbert Kirby from Suffolk/Norfolk is a little less solid than I'd like, but I've added it to my DB, with a proviso note against it.

Thank you!

BugBear
BICE Middlesex
WOMACK Norfolk/Suffolk

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 08 January 19 21:50 GMT (UK) »
http://adb.anu.edu.au/biography/nock-thomas-7856

There is info at that Thomas NOCK bio that gives
" In November 1894 Nock acquired the business and a partner, Herbert Kirby (1871-1954), an English migrant who had served an apprenticeship to an Ipswich ironmonger and arrived in Sydney in 1889."

So, Herbert Kirby had his own capital  :)

Now to find Herbert in Sydney from 1889 to 1894 and Howard Robert LEACH too ...

Bugbear,  have you searched through the resources listed at RChat's Resources Board for NSW?  ... particularly the City of Sydney's online Assessment books and Sands Directories .... both freely available  :)

Also City of Sydney's Archives include council Minutes Books, including incoming/outgoing correspondence :
https://www.cityofsydney.nsw.gov.au/learn/history/archives

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 08 January 19 22:43 GMT (UK) »
Bugbear likely has the following,but it gives me pointers of where to look back from 1899 towards 1889 Sydney for him, so I share  :) :

This places KIRBY in Mosman, (a suburb of Sydney on the North Shore) and and confirms his mum's given name, her age, and locality...
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/14221038 5 Sept 1899 SMH ...

KIRBY.—July 22, at Diss, Norfolk, England, Susannah, dearly loved mother of Herbert Kirby, Mosman, aged 70

JM

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 08 January 19 23:18 GMT (UK) »
Re reply #1  here is the live link to the newspaper's Obit that includes that shorter extract  :)

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/230866873  The Sun 12 March 1954  :) 

JM