Author Topic: 1939 Register - how to open a closed record if you don't know the household?  (Read 930 times)

Offline goatfish77

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hi,
I am sure this question must have been asked already but I couldn't find a topic.....

I have recently acquired the death certificate for a relation who I have been unable to find in the 1939 register as she had died overseas.
I have the address of her twin sister in 1939 as a parlour maid in a Manor House but do not know where this sister would have been living and their mother died in childbirth so I suspect it was not with their father.
Can you only request a record to be opened if you know the address and can find the record on Findmypast?

Thanks in advance...

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: 1939 Register - how to open a closed record if you don't know the household?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 08 January 19 16:49 GMT (UK) »
If you have her twin in 1939 then you have her full birthdate.  If you are an FindMyPast subscriber you can provide proof of death and ask for the record to be opened at no charge.

Otherwise it has to be done via National Archives who make a charge of about £23

Just Google - opening a closed record on the 1939 register

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: 1939 Register - how to open a closed record if you don't know the household?
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 08 January 19 17:23 GMT (UK) »
FindMyPast's instructions imply that you need to know where they are living
 Once you have located the record and are viewing the transcript, you will see the option 'Open a closed record'. Clicking this will take you to the online form where you can enter and complete all the relevant information.

There is only one way to find out ask them on their contact us.

https://www.findmypast.co.uk/help/contact
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline CarolA3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My adopted home
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 09 January 19 11:11 GMT (UK) »
If you have her twin in 1939 then you have her full birthdate.

If these are the twins I've seen mentioned on other threads, they had consecutive birthdates on their baptism record.  One was born on 31 August, and the other on 1 September.  Have you searched using both dates?

In 1939 their widowed father was living as a single man at his workplace - he gave the same address on the marriage record - so no family with him there.

Carol
OXFORDSHIRE / BERKSHIRE
Bullock, Cooper, Boler/Bowler, Wright, Robinson, Lee, Prior, Trinder, Newman, Walklin, Louch

Offline goatfish77

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 09 January 19 17:03 GMT (UK) »
If you have her twin in 1939 then you have her full birthdate.

If these are the twins I've seen mentioned on other threads, they had consecutive birthdates on their baptism record.  One was born on 31 August, and the other on 1 September.  Have you searched using both dates?

In 1939 their widowed father was living as a single man at his workplace - he gave the same address on the marriage record - so no family with him there.

Carol

I think I have searched every way I can think of. But if her record is closed I wouldn’t find it anyway would I as she wouldn’t show in the results even with the correct DOB?

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 09 January 19 17:37 GMT (UK) »
I think it would be worth you contacting FindMyPast.  Surely they must have some way of searching what is not visible to us otherwise how are they uncovering people who are now 100.

Nothing ventured ...
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Rattus

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 09 January 19 17:38 GMT (UK) »
This question has indeed been asked already:

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=803993

Not much in there that hasn't been said above, but you could try posting a follow-up, asking the OP whether she contacted Findmypast as she was intending.

Alternatively you could PM her, but then the information remains out of view rather than contributing to the Rootschat 'hive mind' :-)
BARTRAM - Nottingham, Derby, originally Beds (Stagsden)
PERFETT - St Pancras & Marylebone, Rugby, Nottingham
RADFORD - Nottinghamshire, also back & forth to Bury
RUDD - Durham, Margate, Bermondsey, Newcastle, Nottingham