Author Topic: 1st Bt Black Watch Service Number  (Read 719 times)

Offline Luke Dawson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
1st Bt Black Watch Service Number
« on: Wednesday 09 January 19 00:32 GMT (UK) »
Hello people,

I have recently found an article about a relative of mine that was in the 1st Bt Black Watch during WW2. In the article it refers to Sam, as been in the Forces for 4 years. ( The article is from 1944 Although his Black Watch Service number would suggest he was probably in around 1942. Certainly before conscription - but 4 years seems abit overboard.

http://www.northeastmedals.co.uk/mm/...ce_numbers.htm

The link above seems to suggest so, if they were in chronological order.

Thank you for any help.

Regards

Luke

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1st Bt Black Watch Service Number
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 09 January 19 09:55 GMT (UK) »
His number is actually quite early in the sequence which, although allotted in number order, were not in a regular sequence as intakes depended on the demands of the service and conscription had begun in September 1939.  There is also the possibility that he volunteered rather than waiting to be conscripted.  The list of where he fought suggests he was with 1st Battalion throughout.  1st Battalion effectively ceased to exist after holding the line at Dunkirk so the period late 1940 onward would have seen great efforts to re-form the battalion in time for 1942 and North Africa.  I'd propose that the report holds water.

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline Luke Dawson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 09 January 19 11:14 GMT (UK) »
Hello Max,

Thanks alot for your help. I assumed all the service numbers were done chronological - and you are right, he is pretty early.

The 1st Bt Black Watch Roll of Honour - has quite alot of people with around the same number. The ones similiar to him seem to be around 1941 / 1942. I do not believe he was at Dunkirk, this would be a long shot anyway.

http://www.blackwatch.50megs.com/b1str.htm

He was certainly a volunteer. I have included the newspaper article, where he is said to have been a volunteer in the Forces. This is from June 1943.

Thanks again

Luke

Offline Luke Dawson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 09 January 19 11:18 GMT (UK) »
Here, the same article. He is in uniform of the Black Watch, with the hackle.

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 09 January 19 11:23 GMT (UK) »
That would all add up to volunteering in the post Dunkirk time in UK so maybe even 40/41 which would give the 4 years.  Had he been at Dunkirk he would have been very lucky if he returned and anyway it would certainly have got a mention in the first newspaper report given that most/all of 1st Battalion were forced to surrender at St Valery.

MaxD

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk

Offline Luke Dawson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 09 January 19 21:47 GMT (UK) »
Thank you May for your help.

I have done extensive research on the 1st Bt Black Watch, where they were and when they were re-formed and such. Does anyone have information of where the 1st Bt trained before Africa ? Despite reading plenty of books about them, this still eludes me.

This is of great personal interest to me  - as during this time it was when he met his fiancee.

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 10 January 19 11:27 GMT (UK) »
Have you considered getting the relevant war diaries.  The period after Dunkirk onwards is covered by a number :
http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/results/r?_aq=1%20black%20watch&_ep=highland&_nq1=tyneside&_cr=WO%20171%7CWO%20169%7CWO%20166%7CWO%20167&_dss=range&_ro=any&_p=1925&_st=adv

Alternatively, the Black Watch Museum may be able to help?

MaxD

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Griffiths Jnr c1914, HMS Achilles
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 10 January 19 11:58 GMT (UK) »
Griffiths Llandogo, Mitcheltroy, Mon. and Whitchurch Here (Also Edwards),  18th C., Griffiths FoD 19th Century.

Offline Luke Dawson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 10 January 19 21:36 GMT (UK) »
Thanks alot gentlemen for your help.

I did contact the Black Watch museum, they say he certainly was not part of the 1940s Dunkirk as all service numbers back then started with 265 ( Sam`s was 276 ) He also thinks 1942 - is a more reasonable bet. Which sounds to me maybe abit too late..

I am pretty sure I will be recieveing his record soon and should answer a few questions. Thanks for the links above, they are interesting and have already started to look into them further.

Thanks again.