Author Topic: Cheshire look ups - Macclesfield  (Read 837 times)

Offline Wallie Lizzie

• RootsChat Extra
  • www.thewallworks.co.uk
    • View Profile
Cheshire look ups - Macclesfield
« on: Wednesday 09 January 19 03:01 GMT (UK) »
Just wondering if some kind person could look up the Latchford family in the parish registers for me. I have some confusion with a Giles Latchford b 1782 as far as I am aware in Macclesfield, all I can find online is a Giles Latchford born in Astley, with father Cornelius Latchford. I want to see it there was also a Giles baptised in Macclesfield at that time. My Giles Latchford and family after that are all baptised and buried in Macclesfield, they were silk weavers of Parsonage Street.
Wallwork – Swinton/Worsley/Pendleton

Moss & Farrish & Kennedy & Latchford – Swinton/Macclesfield/Cheshire

Cheer – Manchester

Tildesley – Worsley/Manchester

Rourke & Fallon - Kearsley/Farnworth/Bolton/Yorkshire/Ireland Dublin

Gooden & Duckworth & Pasquile & Atkinson – Bolton/Blackburn/Westmorland

Wilson – Swinton/Salford

Quinn – Swinton/Salford/Newcastle u Tyne/Gateshead/Ireland/USA

Mc Donough & Bickers - Salford/Ireland

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Cheshire look ups - Macclesfield
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 09 January 19 07:59 GMT (UK) »
Not quite sure why you are dismissing the Giles, son of Cornelius - I say this because Giles has a son called Cornelius, baptised in Macclesfield in 1815  :-\ :-\
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline DCB

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 09 January 19 09:50 GMT (UK) »
The only baptism in Macclesfield for the right period is for Mary, daughter of Cornelius and Margaret Lachford, on 13th March 1791.

Those in Leigh/Astley are also Cornelius and Margaret, so it looks as though Giles's parents moved to Macclesfield around 1790. The last one in Leigh is Joseph in 1789.

Margaret, born 1754, was buried in Macclesfield on 11th May 1806 and Cornelius, born 1757, on 25th April 1824.

David

P.S.  Cornelius Latchford, son of James, was baptised on 3rd July 1757, in Astley/Leigh, son of James. He married Margaret Mort in Leigh on 1st April 1777.

Margaret Mort possibly baptised in Deane by Bolton on 29th May 1754, daughter of John.

Offline Wallie Lizzie

• RootsChat Extra
  • www.thewallworks.co.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 09 January 19 20:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Thank you both for your replies :)

I have the Latchford's in Astley/Atherton dating way back from Giles b 1782 and know about Margaret Mort who died in 1819 and is buried in Gawsworth. Cornelius then remarried twice. My reason for ruling out that this Giles is indeed my Giles buried in Macclesfield is that I have never been able to get over to Cheshire to search through the records, as many of these are not online. I have my Giles attending Macclesfield Sunday school in 1796 then marrying Elizabeth Oakes in Prestbury, then all the history of the family from then on in Macclesfield. I know somewhere they must be the same family, but have never been fully convinced that it was the same Giles until I had eliminated that there wasn't also one born in Macclesfield. Giles son William is my 3rd Great Grandfather, brother to Cornelius b 1815 who was a shopkeeper in Macclesfield. The Latchford family also trace back in Macclesfield, Gaswsorth, Prestbury as early as mid 1500's. Thank you both for looking :)
Wallwork – Swinton/Worsley/Pendleton

Moss & Farrish & Kennedy & Latchford – Swinton/Macclesfield/Cheshire

Cheer – Manchester

Tildesley – Worsley/Manchester

Rourke & Fallon - Kearsley/Farnworth/Bolton/Yorkshire/Ireland Dublin

Gooden & Duckworth & Pasquile & Atkinson – Bolton/Blackburn/Westmorland

Wilson – Swinton/Salford

Quinn – Swinton/Salford/Newcastle u Tyne/Gateshead/Ireland/USA

Mc Donough & Bickers - Salford/Ireland