Author Topic: 1879 famine  (Read 216 times)

Offline cattao

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1879 famine
« on: Wednesday 09 January 19 07:43 GMT (UK) »
Looking into my Clare family emigrating to Australia in 1880 and I find a famine in the western part of the country in 1879. Would Clare residents - farmers- have suffered, any reading to be done apart from Wikipedia?

Gray, Madigan, Purdy, Churchwood.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1879 famine
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 09 January 19 08:09 GMT (UK) »
As noted in Wikipedia it is usually written about as the reason for the Land War and mainly they concentrate on Mayo.
http://www.advertiser.ie/mayo/article/86913/1879-a-forgotten-year-of-famine-and-fury
https://ireland-calling.com/forgotten-famine/

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline cattao

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 10 January 19 03:11 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for  the link
Gray, Madigan, Purdy, Churchwood.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 10 January 19 17:51 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, Sinann. My grandfather cited this event for his decision to leave Mayo permanently. He spoke of seeing hungry, desperate people on the roads.
There's a current thread on RootsChat asking what historical event was responsible for your existence.
I put the 1879 famine as the most recent historical event.