Author Topic: Free Genealogy Course from Future Learn  (Read 823 times)

Offline Lisajj

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Exhall Colliery & Brickworks - very rare photo
    • View Profile
Free Genealogy Course from Future Learn
« on: Wednesday 09 January 19 13:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone
Sorry if this has already been posted (searched but couldn’t find)
Future Learn are offering a free course with the University of Strathclyde
Genealogy: Researching your family tree
Starting 21 Jan 2019.
https://www.futurelearn.com/courses/genealogy
Johnson, Crankshaw, Burdett, Shaw, Dawson/Dulson, Whitebread/Whitbread, Drane, Hyett, Holtaway, Thompson, Bodell, Livermore, Gee, Vernon, Smith......the list goes on....and on...and on....

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: Free Genealogy Course from Future Learn
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 09 January 19 13:47 GMT (UK) »
I did this course 12 to 18 months ago, and it was exceptionally good, but the best bit of all was the interaction with other students on the forum both during and after. Unless you consider yourself an expert you will learn something from this.

Martin

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 09 January 19 13:53 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for sharing.
I have signed up, as I feel there is always something to be learned.
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline what0101

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 14 February 19 14:03 GMT (UK) »
Is anyone else on here doing the course? I'm trying to do a genealogical proof and struggling to make it make sense and not be incredibly boring.

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 14 February 19 14:38 GMT (UK) »
What0101, I'd like to hear more details of what you're trying to achieve, and I'm sure many others will as well.

Martin

Offline zimmer46

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 14 February 19 15:31 GMT (UK) »
I did this course last Nov / Dec.   It's aimed at all levels of knowledge and experience so some will get more from it than others.  I certainly got some very helpful ideas from the content but particularly from the exchanges with other students.   You will also get lots of useful links to online resources.     

Andrew

Offline what0101

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 14 February 19 15:44 GMT (UK) »
What0101, I'd like to hear more details of what you're trying to achieve, and I'm sure many others will as well.

Martin

This week we are doing Genealogical Proof Standard, so I am working on trying to make a proof argument.

In this case, I know my great great grandmother Honoria Stack had a sister named Catherine who married someone named Collins. In their town, there were two women named Catherine Stack who married two men named Thomas Collins within 4 years of one another. So I am trying to write an argument explaining why, with footnotes to the evidence, I have concluded that *my* Catherine Stack is one of the couples rather than the other, and how I have decided to assign the children born to Catherine and Thomas to one couple or the other.

The idea is that if you make a decision that may make perfect sense to you, but may not to the outside world who sees your work, you should write a proof argument to "show your work." In this case, the only other person who has this person on a family tree on Ancestry made the opposite conclusion I made. So I thought I'd try and write a proof argument and send it to that person.

But the process is laborious...takes forever, and the results that I have so far are so boring that it's basically unreadable. I think part of the goal is to make it readable, so that other researchers will take it seriously, but I am struggling both in proving my point and making it interesting.