Author Topic: HOUSTON RIGG BROWNS  (Read 794 times)

Offline racheljoyce

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
HOUSTON RIGG BROWNS
« on: Wednesday 09 January 19 14:54 GMT (UK) »
Looking for information on father and son of same name.
Houston senior was born in Scotland in 1776 but spent a lot of time in Langley area of Buckinghamshire. He fathered three children with much younger SARAH ATKINS in LANGLEY (1841 census) before marrying her in Hillingdon, London in 1845. They had a further two children all christened at Langley Marish.

Houston Rigg 1841-? (joined 1st battalion 11th infantry 1860 in Portsmouth)
Janet 1842-1884
Hamilton 1844-1914
Agnes 1846-1931
Sarah 1848-?

Houston senior appears to have deserted his children after the death of wife Sarah in 1849 possibly (not confirmed with certificate). Some spent time with aunts and uncles as well as in the workhouse.

He died in London in 1857 whilst living in Southampton Row but I failed to trace him in 1851, when he
probably didn't want to be found! His father was Alexander Brown a wine merchant & his mother Isabel Hamilton.

Please can anyone throw any more light on these two - I have scoured all possible sources! I do know Houston senior was member of The Royal Order in Scotland too and could have been previously married to Agnes Berry when he was 20.

Offline Paco

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: HOUSTON RIGG BROWNS
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 09 January 19 17:09 GMT (UK) »
Agnes Berry born Edinburgh 10/3/1770;baptised 27/3/1770-married Houston Rigg Brown 7/7/1798 Edinburgh. Agnes's mother's surname was Anderson. In 1845 when he married Sarah Atkins the Banns state he was a Widower.  Alexander Brown was a Wine Merchant and was married to Isabel Hamilton. He died in 1845.  This last info. about Isabel is from an online tree so must be checked out. One of the trees says that Hamilton was not born until 1852. This is in conflict with the fact that Sarah may have died before this date, so I guess that if true he could have had a different mother!
regards.
Essex/Dorset/Berks

Offline racheljoyce

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 09 January 19 17:20 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much....I hadn't looked at the banns for some obscure reason.

I have records for Hamilton (he is main interest in fact) for his christening in 1844 Langley Marish, followed by all census records except 1871 as well as marriage and electoral roll addresses before he died which all fit 1844 birth.

Just discovered Houston senior was also known as Houghton which has thrown up some more records in 1830s in London. He was connected with Edinburgh & Leith Glass company. I am intrigued to discover his census record in 1851 and what happened to his money - he had owned three properties in Chalfont St Giles too.
I ought to send for Sarah's death certificate but I am researching for a friend who isn't as interested as I am in digging out the facts!
Thanks again - I really wasn't expecting any replies!

Offline racheljoyce

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 09 January 19 17:29 GMT (UK) »
PS,

I think the Alex Brown who died in 1845 was Alex senior's first son born 1761. I have him on 1841 census. Alex the elder would have been born in about 1735 to marry in 1760 to Isabel Hamilton