Author Topic: Murdochs in Invermossat or Clova of Kildrummy  (Read 1965 times)

Offline SANTUDM

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Murdochs in Invermossat or Clova of Kildrummy
« on: Wednesday 09 January 19 15:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi from Buenos Aires, Argentina! I am looking for information about the Murdochs of Inversmossat or Clova in the parish of Kildrummy.
At Scottish Notes & Queries (1906) I found the following: "623. Murdochs in Mossat of Kildrummy. — Mr. Robert Murdoch, in Pyke, Insch, formerly of Petersfield, Insch, informs me that about 1845 there were in Kildrummy two brothers, John and Alexander Murdoch, carrying on a joinery business there. They left for the Huntly district. They were related to the Murdochs of Boat of Towie, latterly of Glenbuchat and Strathdon. The precipe relationship I cannot ascertain (...)".
I found a John Murdoch as Tenant of Invermossat, also known as Saw Mill of Mossat (Aberdeenshire OS Name Books, 1865-1871). I do not have more information about John.
Also a George Murdoch, who received in 1830 from Harry Leith Lumsden, Esq. of Clova a Feu Charter of two pieces of ground in Lumsden Village (on another topic goldie61 has helped me transcribing this Feu Charter: https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=805957.0). George is described in that document as "Wood Merchant at Mossat Sawmill". A “George Murdoch, from Leith-Lumsden” was also afterwards admitted on 5th August 1845 as a Messenger-at-Arms.
As far as I was able to research, George Murdoch was baptized on 30 October 1784 in Kildrummy (his father: "Alexr. Murdoch in Muirs"). A “George Murdoch in Newmill” (which is an ordinary farm house with offices yard, garden etc. attached the property of Hugh Gordon Lumsden Esq. of Clova and close to Invermossat) married Janet Smith on 5 September 1819 in Auchindoir and Kearn. No death record for George yet.
George had an elder brother named John, baptized on 18 May 1781 in Kildrummy (his father: "Alexr. Murdoch in Moors of Wester Clova"). I was unable to find a marriage or death record for John Murdoch yet. And I do not know if he had childreen either.
At the Aberdeen County Commissioners of Supply Assessed Tax Reports - Third District, 1809 -1810, I found an Alexr. Murdoch in "Muirs" in the parish of Kildrummy. I am not sure if this Alexander is George and John's father, or another one.
I have doubts about the note at Scottish Notes & Queries. There is mentioned two brothers John and Alexander, and as far as I was able to investigate, John and George did not have a brother named Alexander (Alexander was the name of their father who married Elizabeth [Mc]Callum on 6 August 1771 in Alford). Mary Strachan (nee Murdoch), a sister of John and George, died at Upper Howbog, Cabrach. At Mary's death record, her father (Alexander Murdoch) is noted as being a tailor in Kildrummy. In others records Alexader was listed as "farmer".
I presume that the Alexander Murdoch mencioned at Scottish Notes & Queries with a joinery business at Invermossat, may be not the same Alexander married at Alford in 1771 and father of John and George. Maybe is a different person, as a joiner is very different from a tailor. Or posibly was a mistake about the name (Alexander instead George).
Is it possible that there are wills of John or George Murdoch?
Does anyone have more information about the Murdochs in Inversmossat or Clova? Or does anyone come to a different conclusion I have come?
As always, thanks in advance.

Offline SANTUDM

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Murdochs in Invermossat or Clova of Kildrummy
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 09 January 19 15:05 GMT (UK) »
Here I attach the baptism records of John and George Murdoch (also appears the records of other Alexander's children).

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 09 January 19 17:18 GMT (UK) »
Have you looked in the census for your 19th century Murdochs? You can use the transcriptions at https://freecen1.freecen.org.uk/cgi/search.pl to find them, and you can then check the original documents at www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

If there are wills they will also be available on Scotland's People for anyone who died before 1925.

You may also be able to find death certificates on Scotland's People which might clarify who was who.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline SANTUDM

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 09 January 19 17:37 GMT (UK) »
Previous threads on the same Murdoch family
Forfarian, yes when I wrote those threads I did not have all the information compiled. Now that I have it more organized, I decided to make one compiling as much as possible.

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 09 January 19 18:23 GMT (UK) »
British Newspaper Archives has only one in Invermossat a George dated November 1845 an Auctioneer and Valuator who is leaving this position as he has been appointed Messenger At Arms and is moving on.

Don
I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Offline SANTUDM

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 09 January 19 18:30 GMT (UK) »
Have you looked in the census for your 19th century Murdochs?
Yes Forfarian there is an entry for George Murdoch and family in Invermossat:
https://freecen1.freecen.org.uk/cgi/search.pl

Offline SANTUDM

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 09 January 19 18:31 GMT (UK) »
British Newspaper Archives
Don many thanks! Where can I find this info?

Offline SANTUDM

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 09 January 19 18:34 GMT (UK) »
If there are wills they will also be available on Scotland's People for anyone who died before 1925.
I was thinking that as George Murdoch received a Feu Charter in 1830... probably the pieces of ground of Lumsden were inherited by some son?