Author Topic: How do you search the Protestation Returns for Warwickshire?  (Read 758 times)

Offline Althea7

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
How do you search the Protestation Returns for Warwickshire?
« on: Wednesday 09 January 19 15:19 GMT (UK) »
I am struggling with the parliament.uk website on its Protestation Returns Page. It has a few hyperlinks to where you actually search, and seems to want you to use one that says "online search map".  Whenever I click on this and search Birmingham, it just shows me where on the map Birmingham is.  I know where Birmingham is on the map, and could use google maps for that, so it seems pointless and going nowhere.  How do I search for Protestation Returns in Warwickshire/Birmingham.

I seem to remember hitting this brick wall before.  In theory it should be so useful, the nearest thing to a census for 1642, but I can't get past the search only showing me where Birmingham is on a map of England.

This particular resource should be especially useful for Birmingham as it was staunchly anti-royalist and pro Cromwell.

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: How do you search the Protestation Returns for Warwickshire?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 09 January 19 16:47 GMT (UK) »
There are very few returns for Warwickshire, and none at all for Birmingham, as far as I know.

There used to be links to the images on Portcullis (the Parliamentary Archives’ online catalogue), but, like you, I can’t find them now. You might perhaps want to email the Archives and ask what has happened to those links?

Meanwhile, there are browsable links to the images here ...
https://www.lostcousins.com/newsletters2/ProtestationReturns.htm

Offline Althea7

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 09 January 19 17:25 GMT (UK) »
There are very few returns for Warwickshire, and none at all for Birmingham, as far as I know.

There used to be links to the images on Portcullis (the Parliamentary Archives’ online catalogue), but, like you, I can’t find them now. You might perhaps want to email the Archives and ask what has happened to those links?

Meanwhile, there are browsable links to the images here ...
https://www.lostcousins.com/newsletters2/ProtestationReturns.htm

That link is really useful and interesting, thanks.

I got much further than on the parliament website.

I notice that some counties and places don't seem to be there.  Other than Birmingham and Warwickshire, I was looking for ancestors that I have traced in Walsall, but it doesn't seem to be there.  Darlaston is there, but my known ancestors weren't there in the precise year 1641, but I recognised the name of the rector because one of my ancestor's married his widow.

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 09 January 19 17:32 GMT (UK) »