Author Topic: Sarah Booth of Llangollen 1800s  (Read 886 times)

Online Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Sarah Booth of Llangollen 1800s
« Reply #27 on: Friday 11 January 19 12:51 GMT (UK) »
Her parents lived there when she was baptised.

I'm not sure whether the smithy is there - will check the current maps, etc. but I don't recall it being there when I visited cousins there a few years ago.

I've been doing global searches for William (1854) to see if I can find him. By 1871, he could possibly be at sea and out of British waters  but, in 1861, he would only have been 6-7.b The only reasons that I can think of are that the family were on one of the missing 1861 pieces, being away from Britain or being recorded/transcribed really badly.

Will get back to you about the Smithy if I find anything.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Online Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 11 January 19 13:02 GMT (UK) »
The baptism record has John Edwards as a Sith, living at Bache. Unfortunately, this doesn't mean  that he lived at a smithy. 

The old maps that I've so far looked at does not have a smithy marked in the Bache area. 

I've just looked through the Bache area in 1841. There is just one person that i can see who might be described as a smith - Edward Jones, a wheelwright.  No mention of a Smithy.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Online Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 11 January 19 13:07 GMT (UK) »
Note that a Smith could describe a number of sub-groups - a tinsmith, a whitesmith, etc.

Both the baptism and the marriage certificate records him as a smith only. Do you have any info about his marriage to Mary or baptisms of any other siblings of Sarah that might give more info?

Gadget

Offline paddy22

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 11 January 19 13:13 GMT (UK) »
No I'm afraid I know little of the family.    Thank you for letting me know about the smithy, that saves me barking up the wrong tree.

Online Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 11 January 19 13:27 GMT (UK) »
A quck search of the Llangollen registers for baptisms to John (smith) and Mary Edwards, 1800-1820  ~
1810 Mary, Bache
1812 Margaret, Trefor Isaf - not sure as it was Oct and Sarah bpt Feb 1813.
1813 Sarah, Bache

Gadget

Offline paddy22

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 11 January 19 13:33 GMT (UK) »
The problem I had was so many John and Mary Edwards on the records for Llangollen.     

Pat

Offline paddy22

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 11 January 19 13:36 GMT (UK) »
I wonder if there was a reason for William going to sea on the east coast when it would have been closer to go to the west coast.   

Pat

Online Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday 11 January 19 15:07 GMT (UK) »
That's a big question!

There are many reasons, depending on what type of fishing (inshore or deep sea), hiring, etc.  I have few ancestors who where fishermen but those I've researched for friends have moved around - Tyneside to Liverpool, Cornwall , for e.g.

See here for how those at sea on census night were treated in the various 19th century censuses:

http://www.mariners-l.co.uk/UKCensuses.html

Added - Scottish fishermen used to follow the herring, so you had east coasters and west coasters moving to the other coast depending on where the herring were.

Offline paddy22

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Friday 11 January 19 15:23 GMT (UK) »
Yes I have a great grandmother from Brixham, Devon.    Her family moved to Hull in 1853 to fish.

I was looking for an angle hoping he had moved to a Booth family in Hull but never found any.   

Thank you very much for all your help.

Pat