Author Topic: Sarah Booth of Llangollen 1800s  (Read 4747 times)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Sarah Booth of Llangollen 1800s
« Reply #27 on: Friday 11 January 19 12:51 GMT (UK) »
Her parents lived there when she was baptised.

I'm not sure whether the smithy is there - will check the current maps, etc. but I don't recall it being there when I visited cousins there a few years ago.

I've been doing global searches for William (1854) to see if I can find him. By 1871, he could possibly be at sea and out of British waters  but, in 1861, he would only have been 6-7.b The only reasons that I can think of are that the family were on one of the missing 1861 pieces, being away from Britain or being recorded/transcribed really badly.

Will get back to you about the Smithy if I find anything.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 11 January 19 13:02 GMT (UK) »
The baptism record has John Edwards as a Sith, living at Bache. Unfortunately, this doesn't mean  that he lived at a smithy. 

The old maps that I've so far looked at does not have a smithy marked in the Bache area. 

I've just looked through the Bache area in 1841. There is just one person that i can see who might be described as a smith - Edward Jones, a wheelwright.  No mention of a Smithy.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 11 January 19 13:07 GMT (UK) »
Note that a Smith could describe a number of sub-groups - a tinsmith, a whitesmith, etc.

Both the baptism and the marriage certificate records him as a smith only. Do you have any info about his marriage to Mary or baptisms of any other siblings of Sarah that might give more info?

Gadget

Offline paddy22

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 11 January 19 13:13 GMT (UK) »
No I'm afraid I know little of the family.    Thank you for letting me know about the smithy, that saves me barking up the wrong tree.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 11 January 19 13:27 GMT (UK) »
A quck search of the Llangollen registers for baptisms to John (smith) and Mary Edwards, 1800-1820  ~
1810 Mary, Bache
1812 Margaret, Trefor Isaf - not sure as it was Oct and Sarah bpt Feb 1813.
1813 Sarah, Bache

Gadget

Offline paddy22

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 11 January 19 13:33 GMT (UK) »
The problem I had was so many John and Mary Edwards on the records for Llangollen.     

Pat

Offline paddy22

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 11 January 19 13:36 GMT (UK) »
I wonder if there was a reason for William going to sea on the east coast when it would have been closer to go to the west coast.   

Pat

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday 11 January 19 15:07 GMT (UK) »
That's a big question!

There are many reasons, depending on what type of fishing (inshore or deep sea), hiring, etc.  I have few ancestors who where fishermen but those I've researched for friends have moved around - Tyneside to Liverpool, Cornwall , for e.g.

See here for how those at sea on census night were treated in the various 19th century censuses:

http://www.mariners-l.co.uk/UKCensuses.html

Added - Scottish fishermen used to follow the herring, so you had east coasters and west coasters moving to the other coast depending on where the herring were.

Offline paddy22

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Friday 11 January 19 15:23 GMT (UK) »
Yes I have a great grandmother from Brixham, Devon.    Her family moved to Hull in 1853 to fish.

I was looking for an angle hoping he had moved to a Booth family in Hull but never found any.   

Thank you very much for all your help.

Pat