Author Topic: Sarah Booth of Llangollen 1800s  (Read 4835 times)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Sarah Booth of Llangollen 1800s
« Reply #45 on: Wednesday 13 February 19 19:29 GMT (UK) »
I was demonstrating that the person you mentioned:

Hi Gadget,

Re my search for Sarah Booth.   There is a Sarah Booth age 80 in Mile End Workhouse  1893.  As Thomas Bentley Booth died in Stepney I suppose she could have been in the area.  How do I prove it's her though as I've never been happy just to make facts fit.

.... was unlikely to be her.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline paddy22

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Wednesday 13 February 19 20:01 GMT (UK) »

Yes I know Gadget,  many thanks,  I agree with you.

Pat

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Wednesday 13 February 19 20:18 GMT (UK) »
To save me time going through the thread, Pat, could you say when and where you last found her, please.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline paddy22

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Wednesday 13 February 19 20:30 GMT (UK) »
Thomas and Sarah marry in 1853 in Manchester.

In 1854 her son William is born, they are living at no. 13 Minshull Street, Manchester.    After that she doesn't appear on any another record.

Pat

Offline Christine Brown

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Thursday 10 September 20 13:17 BST (UK) »
Hi there, Sarah Booth, nee roberts, nee Edwards was my ggg grandmother and married to Thomas Bentley Booth as a widow. I have found a record of her burial in the Tonge Cemetery in Bury in 1868.  This was on the findagrave website.  It is definitely her as it also has the name edwards from Llangollen, but I cannot find any other record of the burial. She was formerly married to John Roberts and had two children Sarah J and John .  I found that Sarah J was living with her granmother in 1861 in Bury. Her grandmother was listed on the census as a pauper. In 1851 her mother Sarah Roberts was the housekeeper to a schoolmaster in Manchester and had both children living with her.  She had William with thomas b Booth but I can't find any reference to any of the children since then apart from the daughter.  There is a record of a William booth boarding at a small school but not sure if it him.  The name of Thomas Bentley goes right through my fathers family, the latest being born in 1915.  He was my grandfathers brother. Hope this helps.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Thursday 10 September 20 13:54 BST (UK) »
Hello Christine

Welcome to Rootschat  :)

I'm not sure if Pat has seen your message but I'm sure she'll be grateful for the information.

Looking through the thread, I see that we found :

The only death of a possible Sarah Booth in Bury, 1854-1861 is

Q1, 1861, 8C p 306  AGED  53

A bit older than expected but age at death is always iffy.

Also, which might fit with the age on the marriage cert- I think she gave an age of 35

Q4, 1877, 8C p 346 Aged 60

Gadget

Not sure if this is correct or someone making some educated guesses?

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/159473485

I'm not sure if I'm missing something but there's no death record that I can find associated with the burial  :-\

Add - also this:

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/159374579/thomas-booth

I'm now wondering if the memorial details might be in error. There's no photo for either entry. If you live near Bury, it might be worth looking for the memorial to check.

Gadget

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Thursday 10 September 20 14:12 BST (UK) »
What interesting detective work .

From persomnal experience ROBERTS of Denbighshire are really hard to investigate . ( I dont know about EDWARDS or BOOTH)

Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Thursday 10 September 20 14:19 BST (UK) »
Yes, it's a very common surname in North Wales  ;D

How strange that you've only made 3 posts, all of which I've been on  - coincidence or common interest ???

Offline paddy22

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Thursday 10 September 20 14:44 BST (UK) »
Hi, Had some difficulty replying - so long since I've been on the site.   I'm afraid the entry in the Tonge graveyard isn't correct.   A few years ago I sent her details to Findagrave querying if she was on the site and the next thing I knew they'd put it on the site.  I tried to inform them it wasn't correct, as by then I'd spoken to someone in the records, but they didn't reply.

I have most of the records you have except Sarah and John had 4 children, Mary Ann, Sarah Jane, Thomas and John.  I know what happened to William if you need the information.  My family also had 3 further Thomas Bentley Booths.  Did your last one die in 1985 as I wonder if we're speaking about the same people ?      I've never found when Sarah died or Thomas Booth her father in law.