Author Topic: Birth certificate  (Read 3380 times)

Offline Kathy Dean

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Birth certificate
« on: Wednesday 09 January 19 20:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi I applied for my father's birth certificate in November 2017,the last call to Home Affairs being in Dec 2018, I was informed that there is a query on his place of birth, Durban South Africa. Where can I find assistance in this matter, trying to apply for ancestral visa. Thanks

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Birth certificate
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 09 January 19 20:43 GMT (UK) »
Birth Certificate in which country?
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Girl Guide

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 09 January 19 21:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kathy

Welcome to Rootschat  :)

One wonders why the Home Affairs dept. are querying his place of birth.  Did you provide that piece of information yourself when applying for his birth cert?

The dept. presumably has to make sure they are sending you the correct certificate.  Is his name a common one?

Are you positive about where he was born?

Ashford: Somerset, London
England: Devon, London, New Zealand
Holdway: Wiltshire
Hooper: Bristol, Somerset
Knowling: Devon, London
Southcott: Devon, China
Strong: Wiltshire
Watson: Cambridgeshire
White: Bristol
Windo - Gloucestershire, Somerset, Wiltshire

Offline Kathy Dean

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 10 January 19 04:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi Thanks for the welcome. Yes I did supply Home Affairs here in South Africa with the info. My 3 siblings and I were all under the impression that he was born in Durban South Africa. This is what we remember. It appears this is not the case. Have already received a copy of his father's birth certificate. Both his father and mother and oldest brother were born in Scotland! His name is common, John William Gordon. Have enlisted the help of a genealogist in Scotland. She has done an extensive search, including USA, Canada and of course the UK. He had another brother, few years older, appears his birthplace is also unknown!! Have found the passenger list of the ship my grandparents and oldest uncle were on. They left London in 1912 and disembarked in Durban, South Africa!

Offline Girl Guide

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 10 January 19 06:55 GMT (UK) »
Hhmm, so they left London in 1912.  In theory it should be possible to locate the family in the 1901 census and earlier.  The 1911 census information is for England and Wales only so if they weren't there in 1911 won't be able to locate them.

Could you provide the names of his parents and sibling(s), their birth places if known and birth years?What was his father's occupation?  What information was on the passenger list?

I am assuming that your father has died?  If so do you have his death certificate and what does it say?

Did your genealogist look for any wills?
Ashford: Somerset, London
England: Devon, London, New Zealand
Holdway: Wiltshire
Hooper: Bristol, Somerset
Knowling: Devon, London
Southcott: Devon, China
Strong: Wiltshire
Watson: Cambridgeshire
White: Bristol
Windo - Gloucestershire, Somerset, Wiltshire

Offline Kathy Dean

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 10 January 19 08:31 GMT (UK) »
Genealogist has been most helpful thus far, as I recall she did all the necessary checks, census etc, but not sure about wills. I do have my father's death certificate but it only states date of birth and death. Thinking, perhaps year of birth is incorrect. I have a copy of his ID card, it has 9 digits unlike our current ID docs. Tried to find what the digits represent this a.m, can't seem to find anything. On enquiring at the local office late last year the consultant said the numbers do not relate to dates???? As you see ID 490383016, has 16 at the end, could this be year of birth? Death certificate states 1917. Father Born Thomas Monteith Samuel (to add to the confusion they changed surname to Gordon?????) Coachman(not domestic) Born 14 Aug 1884, Glasgow. Mother Maud Ellen(Hayden) Samuel. Brother Alexander Thomas Samuel 28 Sept 1911, South West Hackney London. Don't have info for other brother Hayden, will check in correspondence received from my sister. Passenger list has them listed as Gordon, grandparents and Alexander embarked London 1912 and arrived in Durban South Africa. Don't seem to think they traveled much after arriving here. I contacted the hospital where my father passed this morning, no joy.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 10 January 19 09:05 GMT (UK) »
Hhmm, so they left London in 1912.  In theory it should be possible to locate the family in the 1901 census and earlier.  The 1911 census information is for England and Wales only so if they weren't there in 1911 won't be able to locate them.

The Scottish census is available on Scotlands People. You need to sign up and purchase credits to view that plus many other records:
https://www.nrscotland.gov.uk/research/guides/census-records/1911-census

If you have Scottish ancestry you need to use Scotlands People to purchase birth, death and marriage certificates. Cost is very reasonable. Census transcriptions only are available on the pay sites apart from the 1911.

Familysearch has decent coverage for some areas of Scotland so worth checking there too.

Online mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 10 January 19 09:55 GMT (UK) »
deleted

Offline whiteout7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 10 January 19 10:09 GMT (UK) »
Who filled in his death certificate? If it was not his wife it is entirely possible that the birth date you have is completely wrong?

Is this him JOHN WILLIAM   GORDON   1921/11/20 (Is you mother deceased? wifes name is M**** S*****)   

20th November 1921

https://www.identitynumber.org/death-records.php
Wemyss/Crombie/Laing/Blyth (West Wemyss)
Givens/Normand (Dysart)
Clark/Lister (Dysart)
Wilkinson/Simson (Kettle or Kettlehill)