Author Topic: Cr 10 seaman history  (Read 1915 times)

Offline seaweed

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll see you one day in Fiddlers Green.
    • View Profile
Re: Cr 10 seaman history
« Reply #9 on: Monday 28 January 19 13:56 GMT (UK) »
Hello again,
You asked "Is the cr2 issued once only, and I can assume that was the extent of his time at sea?"
I have come across cases where more than one CR2 card has been issued. Usually because the previous card had been lost. However in this case, I think you can assume this was the extent of his time at sea. If you have doubts, check FindMyPast.
Also could you look at attached excerpt from crew agreement, notice the initials ab, his is the only one like that on both ship's crew  agreements and I wondered what is its significance?
I don't think there is anything of significance. I note he signed on early 7am rather than 8am. He was signed on in the presence of an Able Seaman unlike the others who were signed on by the Head/Chief Steward, who no doubt was still in his bunk, having breakfast etc when your man signed on.

Dim ateb yn well nag ateb anghywir. Nid oes dim yn ddall fel rhai nad ydynt yn dymuno gweld

RIP Roger 10 August 2022

Offline HMac

• RootsChat Veteran
  • www.sscityofcairo.co.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 28 January 19 19:19 GMT (UK) »
With regard to the CR2 card, one was retained detailing all foreign voyages. Other CR2 cards were then discarded. Of course over the years many have been either lost or destroyed. I would concur  with seaweed that it is doubtful that he served after these dates.
Regards
Hugh
Merchant Navy Research
ss CITY OF CAIRO

Offline Kayakjock

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 28 January 19 19:40 GMT (UK) »
Seaweed & Hugh,

Thank you both for your replies re the Cr2's, I tend to agree with your conclusions as I know my dad didn't make a career of it and as the cr2 was initially discovered through Findmypast it seems unlikely they would have missed any others.

Thank you for clarifying the "ab" on the crew roster, that seems like a very viable explanation.

So I am happy to have explored a chapter of his life that unfortunately I  never had the opportunity to disccuss with him in person. Thanks for helping make that possible!

Doug