Author Topic: Singapore newspapers - free resource  (Read 135 times)

Offline steadyrollingman

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Singapore newspapers - free resource
« on: Thursday 10 January 19 04:49 GMT (UK) »
Here on holiday and have just been to the Archives to see if I could find out more about a rogue great uncle of mine who may or may not have been here during WW2 (or Burma or Malta acc to other family members). I wanted to find out if this was where he remarried (while apparently still married) but unfortunately due to personal data reasons you can't search microfilms yourself. They charge about 20 to search a given year plus or minus one year which I suppose is very reasonable if you know what you are looking for - although this is difficult as apparently nothing has been indexed.

Anyway, they did give me a link to a very useful resource - http://eresources.nlb.gov.sg/newspapers/ where you can view old newspaper articles for free. I doubt I'll find a marriage announcement for him, but it could be a very useful resource for anyone with military ancestors who served here.

Edit: forgot to add that the BMD search they do requires up to seven days per year being searched, so if you come here on a family history holiday, better make it a long one...

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Online PalmTree1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Singapore newspapers - free resource
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 10 January 19 13:13 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for the link to the Singapore newspapers site.

Already found numerous references to my Linscott's travelling to/from Penang and Europe.

Regards,
Paul
Palmers of Pilton, Ramsey, and Derbyshire - Berrills of Bozeat and Wellingborough -  Byles of Suffolk and Northants - Norris of Farnham - Morehens, Hills, Carters of Northants -  Smarts, Pettits, Woodings of Bozeat

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.