Author Topic: Redpath, Lilley, Clough, Rutherford around Ancroft, Ford, Berwick, Holy Is etc  (Read 1716 times)

Offline Duncan Lowes

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Dear all

I would be grateful if there are any people researching the Redpaths, Lilleys and Cloughs around the Ancroft, Norham, Ord,, Tweedmouth, Ford, Holy Island etc areas of Northumberland (Durham in 1841 census). Especially if people have access to marriage records or baptisms.

Note Redpath is also spelled Ridpath and Ridpeath etc and Clough is also spelled Cleough etc

I have been doing extensive research for years and with a combination of census records, family history and a few other researhers I am fairly confident that my Gx2 grandfather George Cl(e)ough (b approx 1845 Norham) married Eleanor/Ellenor Redpath (b c1842 Ancroft). I have tracked the most likely Eleanor to be the daughter of Robert Redpath (b c1818 Ancroft) and Mary Lilley (b c1822 around Scremerston). They lived in a range of places Cheswick, Loanend, Ford, Hipsburn etc.

Marys father was James Lilley (b c 1779 Bowsden), mother not known.

I have no information on Roberts parents (hence the request) but some other people on the site I use have his parents as George and Ellenor (both c 1791) living very close by in Cheswick on 1841 census but no full evidence of family link

I have also seen some conflicting evidence about George Clough marrying an Elizabeth Rutherford. However this contradicts my family history of a Redpath link and only one person has this link.

It is quite hard tracking these links using the census since they were mostly ag labourers who moved all over the place in that region (farm to farm) and the informant on the census often used different  birth localities within what is clearly (usually) the same family. The localities often referred to farms and hamlets etc and spellings also change

Often I have noticed that birth places change according to who people are living with and where they are living. Especially women's birthplaces which sometimes seem to change to whether they are living with parents of with a husband.  I have tried tracking most of the Redpaths and Cloughs availab le in that region in the 1841-91 census to try to confirm and am fairly sure of my information. However as you will know, other people's research (without sources) can often be misleading

What is hard to find are the baptism and marriage records with details of parents. So if anyone is doing that kind of research I would be grateful for any pointers

The main registration districts are Berwick and Glendale I think

regards Duncan

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Redpath, Lilley, Clough, Rutherford around Ancroft, Ford, Berwick, Holy Is etc
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 10 January 19 15:22 GMT (UK) »
I have tracked the most likely Eleanor to be the daughter of Robert Redpath (b c1818 Ancroft) and Mary Lilley (b c1882 around Scremerston). They lived in a range of places Cheswick, Loanend, Ford, Hipsburn etc.

Can you amend Mary's birthyear to 1822 please

Does the 1867 marriage certificate of George and Eleanor confirm her father was Robert?

Marriages - Eleanor Redpath,George Cleough  September qtr 1867 Glendale 10b 467

The 1851 shows both Robert & Mary b Ancroft
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Duncan Lowes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Redpath, Lilley, Clough, Rutherford around Ancroft, Ford, Berwick, Holy Is etc
« Reply #2 on: Friday 11 January 19 03:15 GMT (UK) »
I have tracked the most likely Eleanor to be the daughter of Robert Redpath (b c1818 Ancroft) and Mary Lilley (b c1882 around Scremerston). They lived in a range of places Cheswick, Loanend, Ford, Hipsburn etc.

Can you amend Mary's birthyear to 1822 please

Does the 1867 marriage certificate of George and Eleanor confirm her father was Robert?

Marriages - Eleanor Redpath,George Cleough  September qtr 1867 Glendale 10b 467

The 1851 shows both Robert & Mary b Ancroft

Hi,

Thanks for your post :)

sorry corrected my typo on 1822. I dont have the certificates, only complete census records and BMD. That is really the assistance I need with marriage and birth/baptism certificates/records

Also the BMD marriage shows two marriages per page usually so you can't always be 100% on who is marrying who but usually can use the pairs of names

Regarding Eleanor's parents, as I said I have done an extensive search of all variants of the Redpath family in different localities around that area of Northumberland (Durham in 1841). By far the most likely is the Eleanor (b Ancroft c 1842) since she is in the 1851 census (with Robert and Mary in Murton Sq, and James Lilley Mary's father) and is the only Eleanor Redpath of any spelling  I can find in that area with a birth close to 1842. She was living as a servant in 1861 in Thornton. As I said in my original post you cant always be sure of exact identity due to localities given by informants and there are a range of localities given. She is usually given as b Ancroft which is a broad locality, except in 1881 her birth was given in neighbouring parish of Lowick. However it was the same Clough family

regards Duncan

PS Sadly I don't get much time in the UK or I would go to the records offices myself. I was hoping some people may already be researching these families or know of access to any digital records that I'm not aware of

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 11 January 19 12:08 GMT (UK) »
Is this your family
1871 census
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:V51G-K8W

CLEUGH, MARY       mmn REDPATH     
1867  Sept Quarter in GLENDALE  Volume 10B  Page 346   

CLEOUGH, GEORGE       mmn .REDPATH     
1869  June Quarter in GLENDALE  Volume 10B  Page 379

CLEOUGH, ROBERT       mmn REDPATH     
1869  June Quarter in GLENDALE  Volume 10B  Page 379

CLEOUGH, JOHN       mmn REDPATH     
1871  March Quarter in GLENDALE  Volume 10B  Page 382   

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 11 January 19 12:19 GMT (UK) »
This would fit the Ancroft birth registration
REDPATH, ELEANOR       mmn LILLEY     
1842  Sept Quarter in BERWICK UPON TWEED UNION  Volume 25  Page 20   

The only way to confirm you are on the right track is to get the marriage certificate for Eleanor
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Duncan Lowes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 19 January 19 01:58 GMT (UK) »
This would fit the Ancroft birth registration
REDPATH, ELEANOR       mmn LILLEY     
1842  Sept Quarter in BERWICK UPON TWEED UNION  Volume 25  Page 20   

The only way to confirm you are on the right track is to get the marriage certificate for Eleanor

Hi Rosie

Thx. Yes, I'm hoping somehow or sometime I will be able to track down the certificate. Most of the evidence points to the Lilley's but there are so many branches of Redpaths in the area its hard to be sure.

regards Duncan

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 19 January 19 15:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Investing £9.25 in a copy of the marriage cert would confirm her fathers name and possibly save you a lot of time and effort if you find later you have the wrong family
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Duncan Lowes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 02 February 19 01:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Investing £9.25 in a copy of the marriage cert would confirm her fathers name and possibly save you a lot of time and effort if you find later you have the wrong family

Hi Carole

Thanks, yes. I may try and track it down.

regards Duncan

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 02 February 19 01:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi

There is no need to try & track down the marriage.  You can buy a copy online from the GRO.  Reply 1 gives the reference for ordering it

https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates