Author Topic: Elizabeth, wife of William MOSLEY, Whittington 1821  (Read 949 times)

Offline martin mosley

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Elizabeth, wife of William MOSLEY, Whittington 1821
« on: Thursday 10 January 19 13:08 GMT (UK) »
I have a marriage for William MOSLEY and Elizabeth STEVENSON on 29 Jan 1821 in Whittington.

Both William and Elizabeth were widows.

My problem is that I have not been able to identify who Elizabeth was. In 1851 she is widowed and gives her birthplace as Bents Green which was in the Eccleshall parish of Sheffield, about 1791.

There are several marriages in the area involving a groom named STEVENSON and a bride named Elizabeth. There are also several burials for male STEVENSON's all within the likely timeframe.

But I can't find a marriage and a subsequent burial that appear to correspond. And which would help to identify Elizabeth.

I need a new pair of eyes on this.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to who she was?

Many thanks in advance.
Mosley; Pugh; Thorpe; Webster; Hill; Ibberson; Nicholson; Moody; Maxfield; Newbold; Lee; Adams; Walker; Tesh; Barnes; Brittlebank; Cowlishaw; Smethurst; Alsibrook

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Elizabeth, wife of William MOSLEY, Whittington 1821
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 10 January 19 15:32 GMT (UK) »
How old would she have been in c1837? 

Just thinking if she had any children after that date you could look up their birth registrations to find her original maiden name. 
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline martin mosley

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 10 January 19 15:39 GMT (UK) »
Great thinking Millepede  ;D

Unfortunately her last child was born in 1834. Typical eh?
Mosley; Pugh; Thorpe; Webster; Hill; Ibberson; Nicholson; Moody; Maxfield; Newbold; Lee; Adams; Walker; Tesh; Barnes; Brittlebank; Cowlishaw; Smethurst; Alsibrook

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 10 January 19 15:39 GMT (UK) »
is this her in 1841?

Unstone Derbys
HO107 195 10 19 7

William Mosley55 coal minerY
Elizabeth 50
George 15 Y
Joseph 15 Y
Eliza 15 Y
Ann 11 Y
Amelia 7 Y
Joseph Hill 75 ag lab N

Wondered if Joseph Hill (who was not b Derbyshire) could be related to Elizabeth ?
Might be worth checking??

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline martin mosley

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 10 January 19 15:42 GMT (UK) »
Yes, that's them Suzard, and she's in Dronfield for the 1851

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 10 January 19 15:47 GMT (UK) »
Is Joseph Hill in the same household or separate?  He isn't transcribed with the others  :-\

Witnesses to the 1821 marriage in case it helps were William Mellam?  Joseph Unwin. 
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline martin mosley

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 10 January 19 15:56 GMT (UK) »
Joseph Hill, aged 75 appears to be in a separate household, alone, though it is possible he's lodging with William and family.. Which could make him Elizabeth's father.. But I can't find an Elizabeth HILL marrying a STEVENSON around the 1810-20 period.

The witness names don't mean anything to me either, and don't correspond to a possible previous marriage, at least that I can see.

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 10 January 19 23:06 GMT (UK) »
on the 1821 marriage record there is a note part destroyed by fire - but there is the full image of Elizabeth and Williams marriage -there are notes in the left hand margin but I am unable to decipher what is written
Witnesses are William Mettam and Joseph Unwin
the next marriage on the page is date 11 Jun 1821 and is the marriage of Catherine Ollivant to William Mettam and witnesses are John Woodhouse Thomas Mettam and Mary Belfitt - back in a mo just checking something

here we go -the notes in the margin refer to the marriage of Cathrine Ollivant to William Mettam and read" This William Mettam has gone by the name of Woodhouse and the issue of this marriage have been called Woodhouse but properly they are Mettam signed G Wheeler Curate of Whittingham Aug 15 18??

on 31 July 1820 in Whittingham was the marriage of George Moseley bachelor of Sheffield and Ann Ollivant spinster of Whittingham ( witnesses William Woodhouse alias Mettam and Joseph Unwin)

I wonder if George Moseley was related to William Moseley? thought the Sheffield may tie in with Elizabeth's hometown???

or could Elizabeth be related to the mettam family??

Lots of avenues to explore

on 1841 census there is one line drawn between the Mosley family and Joseph Hill - this usually signifies someone living in the same dwelling but living separately- so could be considered to be a lodger or Boarder - a lodger lived separately but a boarder ate with the family
What I found interesting was that Joseph Hill was NOT born in Derbys -so possibly could come from a similar place to Elizabeth - of course all of this is guesswork but could be worth checking further

Suz

Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline martin mosley

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 11 January 19 13:19 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Suzard.

Yes, the image is badly fire damaged, and I agree the notes may contain clues.. Unfortunately the Whittington records were all damaged, and  some destroyed. I wondered whether there might be a burial record for Elizabeth's first husband, but if there is, then I haven't been able to find it.

George MOSLEY who married Ann Ollivant was William Mosley's brother, so there was a family link between the two marriages on the page we're looking at. But I can't see anything to suggest Elizabeth was linked to the Mettam/Woodhouse/Ollivant families. Of course that does not mean she wasn't, just that to date I have found no evidence.

This is proving quite a challenge, but one I am desperate to overcome. Elizabeth was my 4x g grandmother, and it would be good to know who she was.