Author Topic: Does anyone recognise this war memorial?  (Read 4948 times)

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
Does anyone recognise this war memorial?
« on: Thursday 10 January 19 13:10 GMT (UK) »
The younger woman is my half g.aunt and the older woman standing is her mother, my g.gran's sister.  The younger woman lost her husband in WW1 sadly he died on 10 November 1918, so near to the end of the war.

He actually died in Epsom hospital from his wounds, but the family lived in Leeds so I'm assuming the war memorial is possibly in Leeds.  Does anyone recognise it?

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Does anyone recognise this war memorial?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 10 January 19 13:15 GMT (UK) »
Whoops, not that it's relevant to the memorial, the younger one is my half 1st cousin once removed.  My g.gran married, the lady standing is her eldest daughter and the one sitting is her daughter.  However, my g.gran, many years and a few children later, took up with my g.grandfather and my gran was born.  She was 11 months older than the young lady but they were brought up as sisters in Hull when my (half) g.aunt moved to Leeds.  When she was older she moved to Leeds to live with her mother and married in Leeds.

Although these relationships seem distant now, I did know both these ladies and met them a few times when I was young.

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 10 January 19 13:56 GMT (UK) »
I'm a bit confused by the relationships, but it might be important to know who moved to Leeds and when; and especially, where was this chap living when he joined up?

In my family there was a man who had moved from the family home not long before the war, but the ruling was that he had to be commemorated where he'd been living when he enlisted, rather than where he was better known.

EDITED TO ADD:
Can you give us his name? Someone may have access to a listing and be able to find him that way.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 10 January 19 14:28 GMT (UK) »
OK, the man who died was Herbert Bailey.  He actually enlisted with the Canadian Over-Seas Expeditionary Force in July 1915 but at the time he gave his next of kin as his mother who lived in Leeds.  He had returned to England by November 1915 and it seems he stayed in the UK in the Manitoba Regiment Depot in Sussex until August 1917 when he was transferred to 18th Reserve Battalion and sent to France.  By September 1918 he was in Aden where he was shot in the face and returned to England.  He died in The Manor (County of London) War Hospital London about 4 weeks later.

The older lady (my half g.aunt) moved to Leeds sometime between 1891 and 1899 when she married a man in Leeds.  Her daughter (who married Herbert Bailey) moved to Leeds sometime between 1901 and 1911 and married Herbert Bailey in 1915 in Leeds.  At some stage his next of kin on his attestation papers was changed to his wife's name with an address in Sussex, however after his death, his wife was back living with her mother in Leeds and they lived together until first her mother died in 1954 and she died in 1970.

His name is actually on a War Memorial in Lawnswood Cemetery, Leeds but it is not the war memorial in the photo.

So, although he enlisted in Canada, I doubt that the war memorial is in Canada as there is no way Edith and her mother would have travelled there and, in any case, Herbert was an Englishman. 

So unless the memorial is in Leeds, the other option would, presumably, be Epsom, perhaps in or near the War Hospital.

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 10 January 19 14:35 GMT (UK) »
It looks as though there is some sort of regimental badge or something at the top of the memorial plaque.

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 10 January 19 14:54 GMT (UK) »
No he's not on that list, but then he is listed on the Lawnswood memorial.  However, the war memorial in the photo is one that is outside somewhere.  It's interesting that the 2 ladies are dressed for summer, (and the sun is shining in the photo) yet the children nearby look dressed more for winter.  Also they appear to be laying a very large wreath, not like the wreaths we lay today.

As I thought the memorial was possibly in Leeds I posted it on this site but I think I'll ask the mod to move the post to the Armed Forces boards.

Offline Flattybasher9

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Manners cost nothing, and are worth the effort.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 10 January 19 14:59 GMT (UK) »

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 10 January 19 15:19 GMT (UK) »
Malky - Sorry I can't open that link it keeps timing out.  So I tried http://explore.library.leeds.ac.uk/ and no joy either.

I can get onto the Uni of Leeds Library site via Google, so what search criteria did you use?