Author Topic: Does anyone recognise this war memorial?  (Read 4999 times)

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
Re: Does anyone recognise this war memorial?
« Reply #18 on: Friday 11 January 19 16:39 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Malky - that was over and above the call of duty!

Thanks Dublin1850 - yes I found that some time ago.

Arthur - it's a shame the photograph isn't clearer.  I enlarged it a little and copied it at a higher dpi than it was sent to me but it hasn't made any difference.

By the way, despite what the original idea was it seems St George's Field is not what it is supposed to be.  My relative who went to Leeds around October/November last year, to photograph the memorial at Lawnswood went through St George's Field and this is her comment:
It’s rubbish what they say about St George’s Field it’s terrifying I wouldn’t walk alone through it me and Helen (that's her friend who went with her) legged it in and out as fast as we could there were a bunch of drugged and drunk blokes and a strange bloke sat on a bench watching us so we walked a different way only to find we were trapped it was a below ground level bowling green we found a gap in hedgerow and I held it open she squeezed through and then did same for me. Scary place it is like a major thoroughfare for student there are some wrecked tennis courts and allotments on opposite side to university and main road, to other far side there was a large wall after we left we drove all round it and I think the walled area had overgrown shrubs but think I saw gravestones.

No wonder some of the residents who have relatives buried there are kicking up a fuss.

Online arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 11 January 19 16:58 GMT (UK) »
 :o :o :o
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Thudnut

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I'm not a complete idiot - some parts are missing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 11 January 19 17:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lizzie.
Are you aware of this searchable website?
https://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials

Using the filters should get you close to where you need to be (if not in the bullseye!)

Regards,
Thudders
Dixon - London/Liverpool
Morris - Liverpool
Williams - Liverpool
Hill - Gloucester
Walker - London
Nelson - Liverpool
Martin - Gloucester
Simcock - Liverpool

Offline Flattybasher9

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Manners cost nothing, and are worth the effort.
    • View Profile

Online arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 11 January 19 19:50 GMT (UK) »
There is also these ....

https://www.leedsww1memorials.com/leedsmemorials.htm
This one has some interesting links. Have a look at this one:

http://www.leedsww1memorials.com/hunsletalfcooke.htm

It mentions our H Bailey, but as there were 3 H Baileys with a Leeds connection they're not sure which one is referred to here.
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Online arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 11 January 19 20:26 GMT (UK) »
I see Herbert's regiment was stationed in Seaford, Sussex, so I wondered if there might be some kind of regimental memorial there. However, I haven't found any evidence of one, nor of any other memorial looking like this one.

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad,20/10/1934 - 27/07/2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 11 January 19 21:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi, apologies if I have missed it being mentioned in any of the replies, but I wonder if there is a connection anywhere to the "Green Howards" the badge at the top of the memorial panel looks very much like the regiment badge.

Frank.

https://www.cultmancollectables.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=3047
Ramsey Ridsdale Ridgway Kempen Knight Harrison Denby Sisson Graney Spilsbury Wain Hebden Abbott Skinn ........ Yorkshire (Doncaster Goole Snaith Thorne area)Lincolnshire Nottinghamshire The Netherlands

Online arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 12 January 19 09:59 GMT (UK) »
There may be something in this, Frank.

Since we hadn't found any memorial relating to Herbert that looks like this one, it had crossed my mind that it might actually relate to some other family member - did Edith have a brother, for instance?

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 12 January 19 10:37 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for all your replies since yesterday afternoon.  I'll go through them.  I did wonder what that badge was at the top of the monument, but Edie was an only child and her mother's brother was a fisherman lost at sea on 17 Feb 1906  off the South West Coast of Iceland, near to Keflavik.

The older one also had 2 uncles who lived well into adulthood, one a blacksmith the other a gardener.  I doubt either of those 2 joined the Green Howards being born 1853 and 1856 I would think they would have been too old to fight in WWI.

I'll get back to you later when I've gone through all your comments.