Author Topic: Does anyone recognise this war memorial?  (Read 4970 times)

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
Re: Does anyone recognise this war memorial?
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 12 January 19 13:01 GMT (UK) »
This one has some interesting links. Have a look at this one:

http://www.leedsww1memorials.com/hunsletalfcooke.htm

It mentions our H Bailey, but as there were 3 H Baileys with a Leeds connection they're not sure which one is referred to here.

Arthur - Herbert's attestation papers show he was a wireworker, so I don't think he'd work in a Printers, so I guess that's not the right one.  I did wonder if the monument was in Sussex but, like you, I've not found any reference to one there.  One of my son's ex partners lives in Sussex so I could always send her a copy of the photo to see if she's seen it anywhere.  She lives about 18 miles from Seaford and I know they often go to the beach in the summer.

Frank - looking at the Green Howards regimental badge, to me it doesn't look the same as the one on the memorial.  The one on the memorial seems to be more curved at the bottom, whereas the Green Howards badge has two straight pieces coming together with a flower (Yorkshire Rose?) at the bottom.

Malky - thank you for the links, I've saved them both.  The 2nd one is easier to search, but I've not found the monument yet  Herbert's name is not on the list of men on the long lost Leeds WWI memorial.  I wonder if the memorial was a plaque rather than a stone monument as the report does say having been lost for many years it was then passed on to another church.  You couldn't pass on a stone monument.

The other possibility, of course, is that the memorial has nothing to do with my ancestors.  The photo looks staged - for a newspaper or something - with the women "placed" by the monument and the young boys leaning against the side of it.  That is not how you would take a photo of a monument which had the name of your loved on on it.  Most non photographers would just have had the women standing at the side of the monument.  I'll check newspaper archives in case there is something there.  Going on the clothing of the women, they look as though they are wearing 1920s clothes, look at the hat and low waist on the older woman standing.

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 12 January 19 13:15 GMT (UK) »
I'm not sure if it helps much, but there's an index of names on Leeds war memorials at

https://www.leeds.gov.uk/docs/Index%20of%20names%20on%20Leeds%20War%20Memorials.xls
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 12 January 19 13:56 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Arthur - it basically just points us to Lawnswood.  I doubt his name would be on Leeds Parish monument - as he was Methodist - at least he married in United Methodist Church, Roundhay Road, Leeds on 28 November 1915.  I can't find a baptism for Edith (his wife) but her mother and siblings were all baptised C of E.

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad,20/10/1934 - 27/07/2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 12 January 19 19:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi LizzieW, yes you may well be correct, on further inspection it looks more like a "Maltese" style cross, similar to a "Rifles" badge  :-\

Frank  :)
Ramsey Ridsdale Ridgway Kempen Knight Harrison Denby Sisson Graney Spilsbury Wain Hebden Abbott Skinn ........ Yorkshire (Doncaster Goole Snaith Thorne area)Lincolnshire Nottinghamshire The Netherlands

Offline Kevwood

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • my little man
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 13 January 19 09:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi all, I think the "17th" has to be significant as I believe Arthurk said, isn't that more specific than a war memorial normally is? Is it a particular battle if it states a specific date? Or could it be that it's not a war memorial, I know it looks like one but it doesn't look like the first date is 1914 to me? But my eyes are rubbish!
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

wood,west,williams,morgan,sollars,hawker,snell,roach,clark,symons. In bristol,fremington,instow,rhymney,colyton

Offline Mike in Cumbria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 13 January 19 10:34 GMT (UK) »
I don't know where, but I would have a guess at when - Palm Sunday.

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 13 January 19 11:02 GMT (UK) »
From the first page of this topic:

He actually enlisted with the Canadian Over-Seas Expeditionary Force in July 1915 but at the time he gave his next of kin as his mother who lived in Leeds.  He had returned to England by November 1915 and it seems he stayed in the UK in the Manitoba Regiment Depot in Sussex until August 1917 when he was transferred to 18th Reserve Battalion and sent to France.  By September 1918 he was in Aden where he was shot in the face and returned to England.  He died in The Manor (County of London) War Hospital London about 4 weeks later.

So I don't know what battle it would it would commemorate.  Perhaps it's something to do with the 18th Reserve Battalion whoever they were.  With the timing being in the 1920s, I'm assuming that the memorial is in Britain or perhaps the near continent at the most.  I can't see the ladies travelling far in those days - and certainly not to Aden for instance where he was shot.

Unfortunately, I haven't got the original photograph.  My relative did say she'd try to make it clearer but whether she's actually got the photograph or it's a newspaper cutting I have no idea.  I'll get back to her next week, she's got problems looking after elderly relatives this week, alzheimers, broken bones etc. and she's always running around after them whilst looking after a husband who's not well either.

Offline John915

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 13 January 19 18:32 GMT (UK) »
Good evening,

This is a good site; http://www.roll-of-honour.com/

John915
Stephens, Fuller, Tedham, Bennett, Ransome (Sussex)
Rider (Fulham)
Stephens (Somerset)
Kentfield (Essex)

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 14 January 19 12:39 GMT (UK) »
Thank you John, I'll look through that site.