Author Topic: Denny Stirlingshire Street Names  (Read 1225 times)

Offline martyn ferguson

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Denny Stirlingshire Street Names
« on: Thursday 10 January 19 14:17 GMT (UK) »
After using the brilliant website www.astreetnearyou.org I was able to locate William Gordon Campbell Ferguson, son of Alexander Ferguson and Margaret Mitchell of Bonnybridge. Alexander was brother to my GG grandfather David Ferguson. William is the first ancestor i have found to have died in the Great War and is buried in France.
My question however relates to street names. Many of my Fergusons were from Denny albeit they moved about around Bonnybrdge, Airth and Larbert. I note that Denny has a street name Ferguson Drive and wonder what the street naming policy was. Where I live new housing developments are often named after fallen forces personnel. I have looked at current Local authority policy on line and tried various local history groups for information without success. Streetmap suggest the housing is post war council housing. I would love to know if there is another Ferguson honoured in this way.

Offline AuntieMomo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Denny Stirlingshire Street Names
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 15 January 19 20:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi Martyn, I was brought up in Denny and the street names there are due to lots of things, typical street names (e.g. Stirling Street, Glasgow Road) or named after the area of Denny they were built on.  Sometimes they were named after people but I have no idea of the policy behind this.  My friend's Dad I think was honoured with a street in his name, as was my Uncle when they built new houses in the Stoneywood area of Denny.  So yes it's possible that Ferguson Drive was named after a person but I haven't heard this.  There are a few surname-type streets around there, e.g. Wilson Avenue.  Ferguson Drive is made up of ex-council houses, semi-detached brick built, probably post war.  If I come across how they named the Ferguson Drive-era streets in Denny, I'll let you know.
McKenna McCann Gallacher Kelly Denny Dunipace Falkirk Stirling Longriggend

Offline martyn ferguson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 15 January 19 21:02 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for taking the time to reply. That is much appreciated.

Offline AuntieMomo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 17 January 19 21:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi again, just to say, my Uncle that had a street named after him had worked for Council for many years.  It might be worth contacting the Falkirk council to see if they have any records for naming the streets.  I have no knowledge of council archives but it may be worth a try.  I have phoned them before to ask about cemetery plots of my ancestors and they were very helpful.
McKenna McCann Gallacher Kelly Denny Dunipace Falkirk Stirling Longriggend

Offline martyn ferguson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 17 January 19 21:44 GMT (UK) »
Thank you again. Yes, Falkirk local authority will be worth a try.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 17 January 19 22:22 GMT (UK) »
Remember that historically Denny is in Stirlingshire. The district of Falkirk only because a local authority in its own right in one of the late 20th century reorganisations, so if your street existed before 1975 you will need the archives of the County of Stirling, not the district of Falkirk.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline martyn ferguson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 17 January 19 22:47 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, yes l had literally just started doing some Internet research on the local authorities. A few phonecalls tomorrow should get me to the right place, and yes the info will relate to post war period, 1950's l suspect which means Street names could relate to WW2 fallen rather than WW1.
Thank you again for the guidance.