Author Topic: Baptism Look Up for Edward Harrison Thank you  (Read 435 times)

Offline fionah1973

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Baptism Look Up for Edward Harrison Thank you
« on: Thursday 10 January 19 14:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Would it please be possible if someone would kindly look up the following baptism for me and advise occupation and full name of the mother

Edward Harrison
Christening Date 22 April 1797
Christening Place Saint Thomas - RC Claughton On Brook, Lanchashire

Father John Harrison
Mother Cat

Any help truly appreciated

Fiona

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Baptism Look Up for Edward Harrison Thank you
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 10 January 19 19:33 GMT (UK) »
Wives at the time didn't have official occupations. Being a housewife and mother was assumed to be a full-time occupation, which it was for many. Catholic baptism registers didn't usually state occupation of either parent. Some priests recorded maiden surname of mother but not all did.
Name of the place is Claughton-on-Brock. There is more than one place called Claughton in Lancashire.
Registers may be in a Catholic Record Society journal. Some of these are available to read on the Internet Archive. Some numbers of the journals contain just Lancashire registers.
Her first name would have been Catherine.
Cowban

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 10 January 19 19:45 GMT (UK) »
 Lancashire Registers 3 Northern Part (Catholic Record Society vol. 20)
https://archive.org/details/lancashireregist20cath_0
St. Thomas, Claughton-on-Brock register 1771-1834
There's surname search option or just look for the parish on contents page, then browse by year. There may be an index at back of journal to all the parishes contained.
Cowban

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 10 January 19 20:07 GMT (UK) »
I looked up the baptism in CRS volume 20. There's no more information about parents. Mother's name is abbreviated to "Cat". Godparents Th. Leeming (presumably Thomas) and Jane Cotham. Couldn't see any earlier children of the couple baptised there. I didn't look for later children. Searching for name Harrison will also bring up any godparents called Harrison.
Cowban

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 10 January 19 20:33 GMT (UK) »
A possible marriage from Lancashire Online Parish Clerks website was at St. Helen, Garstang of a John Harrison to Catherine Billington, 2nd Feb. 1790. Her abode was Lancaster. One of the witnesses, Henry Fox, was at a lot of weddings so was probably a church official.  I searched 20 years pre-1797 in a 10 mile radius of Garstang. I don't see baptisms for any children of the marriage during the following 20 years within 10 miles of Garstang. That suggests that they either left the area, one of them died shortly after wedding or they weren't C. of E.
I noticed the previous marriage in the register was of Henry Cottam, abode Halton and remembered that Edward Harrison's godmother was Jane Cotham. Halton is north of Lancaster.  Cottam is a common name, deriving from the place so there may be no connection between Henry and Jane.
Cowban