Author Topic: Date needed & possibly restoration photo of 3 great Bank Aunts  (Read 782 times)

Offline helenmcd

• RootsChat Extra
  • Ladyshippers
    • View Profile
Date needed & possibly restoration photo of 3 great Bank Aunts
« on: Thursday 10 January 19 20:10 GMT (UK) »
This photo has only been found recently and I hadn't seen it before - when I could have asked my parents, Aunt etc., who is in the photo. So I'm hoping that dating it will help us to know who is in it, or potentially could be.

The lady on the left is the only one I know - She is Lily - full name Ada Lillian Banks, born 1901. Her companions may be two of her sisters.

I will be very grateful for any help with dating the photo, or with making the background figures clearer but I think the latter is going to be very much limited due to the original resolution of the photo.

Fingers crossed I've got the right size of photo.

Helen
Clifford, Brigden, Banks, Woolgar, Comber, Coomber, Ridley, Shipley, McDiarmid, Picknell, Mathias, Evans, Morgan, Cottington, Sturt, Illman, Best etc

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Date needed & possibly restoration photo of 3 great Bank Aunts
« Reply #1 on: Friday 11 January 19 11:27 GMT (UK) »
My guess would  be 1940s, I have some with a scalloped edge and they are 1940s/50s
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Trishanne

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 11 January 19 12:49 GMT (UK) »
Here's one from me, I have reduced the background to focus more on the people,
Pat
Bownass - Lancashire & Westmorland
Hoggarth - Lancashire & Westmorland
Jackson- Lancaster
Waller - Dent, Yorkshire dales
Omerod - Lancashire
Redburn - Lancashire
Evans - Hereford

RESTORERS please do not use my restores without my permission THANK YOU

Offline Trishanne

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 11 January 19 12:50 GMT (UK) »
Here is an enlargement of the background group
Pat
Jackson- Lancaster
Omerod - Lancashire
Redburn - Lancashire
Evans - Hereford

Offline helenmcd

• RootsChat Extra
  • Ladyshippers
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 11 January 19 12:57 GMT (UK) »
Here is an enlargement of the background group
Pat

Thanks Pat, that's about as good as it will probably get on this resolution. I do have a 1200dpi too but difficult to send that.
Clifford, Brigden, Banks, Woolgar, Comber, Coomber, Ridley, Shipley, McDiarmid, Picknell, Mathias, Evans, Morgan, Cottington, Sturt, Illman, Best etc

Offline helenmcd

• RootsChat Extra
  • Ladyshippers
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 11 January 19 13:02 GMT (UK) »
Here's one from me, I have reduced the background to focus more on the people,
Pat

Thanks for this one too Pat. It's an excellent enlargement. I got quite spooked by this as the lady on the right looks very like my mum did in the mid 50s but it's not her. It's one of her aunts and I'd never seen photos of her, or the middle lady either - another aunt. I always thought my mum looked like her mum and these ladies are on the paternal side and no relation to my mum's mum at all - sorry if that sounds more confusing than it is.

Helen

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 11 January 19 13:49 GMT (UK) »
Helen, there is a tutorial at the top of the board to guide you through resizing your image...just below 500kbs is best.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline helenmcd

• RootsChat Extra
  • Ladyshippers
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 11 January 19 13:59 GMT (UK) »
My guess would  be 1940s, I have some with a scalloped edge and they are 1940s/50s
Carol

Thanks Carol. I'm hoping to confirm it's that time period as I remembered I didn't scan the back of the photo. It doesn't have anything written on it but it has the Velox logo in an oval. I thought I'd found an answer by googling that, only to learn that the USA and the UK used different methods, and papers too, possibly. I'm trying to find something more certain re the U.K. but no luck so far. I've asked for help from a site that gives info on papers used in the U.K. If only the paper had been Agfa, apparently they used a much better and more reliable system.

Thanks for your reply re size of photos. I did use the guide but I wasn't confident I had it right, having made several unsuccessful attempts to get it right previously - me getting muddled about the sizes. My brain doesn't function well at times and I'm easily confused when that happens. I get brain fog and it only gets worse the more I try to concentrate and make sense of things. It's very annoying and unhelpful. I am extra grateful for site and forums like this because of my limitations.

Best wishes

Helen

Offline Trishanne

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 11 January 19 14:05 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Helen, I'm glad the enlargement was of some help to you. It must be interesting to find somebody who looks like your mum.
You can join the club about brain fog, I know exactly what you mean :)
Pat
Jackson- Lancaster
Omerod - Lancashire
Redburn - Lancashire
Evans - Hereford