Author Topic: Dudley of London/Swepstone  (Read 1276 times)

Offline Taylor94

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My grt grt grandfather, after capture WW1
    • View Profile
Dudley of London/Swepstone
« on: Thursday 10 January 19 21:43 GMT (UK) »
I've come across a crest which has been hinted to have been used by the Dudley family who were Vintners and Members of the Worshipful Company of Vintners in London during 1615-1650. The crest is thus -
'An Arm in Armour embowed or Dexter? holding in hand a grape vine, all proper' Not sure if this crest is worded correctly?
From what I can make out the Armour is to denote service in the Civil War (Henry Dudley, Esq son of Thomas the Vintner was a Royalist Lieutenant in Hastings Regiment) and grapevine for connection to the vintners company.
If anyone could make this crest it would be most appreciated.
Richard Dudley of Cosby. Gent
George Bent of Cosby. Gent
William Black of Kilby. Gent
Bernard Cotton of Dadlington. Esq
Sir Thomas Halford of Wistow. Bart
Richard Swynfen of Sutton Cheney. Gent
John Cotes of Aylestone. Gent
John Freeston of East Norton. Gent
Sir John Bernard of Abington.
Edward Shuckburgh of Naseby. Esq
Richard Worsley of Deeping. Esq
Thomas Hobson of Glen. Gent
John Grant of Stretton Parva. Gent
John Miles of Heanley Hall. Gent
Thomas Dabridgecourt. Esq
Sir Clement Edmondes

Offline Kiltpin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stand and be Counted
    • View Profile
Re: Dudley of London/Swepstone
« Reply #1 on: Friday 11 January 19 19:38 GMT (UK) »
Hello MrDudley,

"An Arm in Armour embowed or Dexter? holding in hand a grape vine, all proper" 

I think, to be correct, it should be "An arm in armour embowed to dexter holding in hand a grape vine all Proper." 

The thing is, I cannot find this blazon anywhere - not in Fairbairn's Heraldic Crests, not in The General Armory, not Fox-Davis. Various Dudleys, but none with this crest. Which begs the question - Where did it come from? 

I am attempting to depict it and the rest of the coat of arms would be helpful. That is to say the colour of the torse - otherwise I will have to leave it blank. 

Regards 

Chas
Whannell - Eaton - Jackson
India - Scotland - Australia

Offline Taylor94

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My grt grt grandfather, after capture WW1
    • View Profile
Re: Dudley of London/Swepstone
« Reply #2 on: Friday 11 January 19 21:00 GMT (UK) »
Hello Kiltpin

I'm not sure were it came from myself.
Its possible it was just adopted for personal use, I know some members of guilds etc had Arms and Crests granted to them but some guild members or wealthy Gentlemen assumed personal crests and had silverware and rings engraved with the them but didnt adopt a coat of arms.
Crest seems to entwine the Occupations of Thomas Dudley, Vintner and Member of the Worshipful company of Vintners 1615-1648 and Henry Dudley, Esq his son who was a Royalist Lieutenant in the Civil War.
Does All Proper mean natural colour? I would assume Silver/Grey armour and green leaves and purple/green grapes?

Although the Dudleys of Swepstone/Odstone/Cosby are apparently through research done by Dean Dudley who published the Dudley family geneaology publications that these Dudleys descend from Richard Dudley of Clopton, Northamptonshire but doesn't say how. The Dudleys have held Clopton as lords of the manor since the 1300s.
On the Visitation Pedigree supplied by Thomas in 1634 for 'Dudley of Swepstone, Leic', No Arms or Crest were given but the Term 'Vide Leicester and Northampton' is mentioned at the top which means there is some connection between this pedigree and the 2 Dudley pedigrees mentioned in the Visitation of Northamptonshire, although I havent been able to find a connection between them but younger sons on the clopton pedigree are not documented in their descent.

The arms and crest used by the Clopton Dudleys until the Baronetcy died out was - 'Azure a chevron or between three lions heads erased argent'
'On A Ducal Coronet Or, A Woman's Head With A Helmet Thereon, The Hair Dishevelled And The Throat-Latch Loose Ppr.'

Richard Dudley of Cosby. Gent
George Bent of Cosby. Gent
William Black of Kilby. Gent
Bernard Cotton of Dadlington. Esq
Sir Thomas Halford of Wistow. Bart
Richard Swynfen of Sutton Cheney. Gent
John Cotes of Aylestone. Gent
John Freeston of East Norton. Gent
Sir John Bernard of Abington.
Edward Shuckburgh of Naseby. Esq
Richard Worsley of Deeping. Esq
Thomas Hobson of Glen. Gent