Author Topic: Captain Robert Cork Sydney Harbour  (Read 674 times)

Offline tom mix

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Captain Robert Cork Sydney Harbour
« on: Friday 11 January 19 07:07 GMT (UK) »
I have a lot of info on this man and his family, but would be interested sharing facts with anyone else researching this man & family. married to Jane Blackman, as you would know.

Watsons Bay, Zenleith, Emily Jane Cork are my immediate interests.

Been to his grave at South Head.

Just expanding my knowledge of this person !

Thanks,

Alan
Donougher, Bawden, Cahill, Mahon(e)y, Williams,
Kirby, Woods, Faherty

Offline ThomasH1791

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Captain Robert Cork Sydney Harbour
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 31 January 21 05:54 GMT (UK) »
Dear Alan, I am the great, great grandson of Robert Cork. I’ve been researching the family, including the Blackmans, for some time. Interested to exchange information.

Offline tom mix

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 31 January 21 23:42 GMT (UK) »
Hello and Welcome !

My wife is the connection to Robert Cork. She is his great great granddaughter.
 We have 2 options. Once you have posted 3 times on RootsChat, we can send each other Personal Messages which won't clog up the Board. Otherwise we can post here, ask each other questions and exchange information.
Looking forward to it.

Alan
Kirby, Woods, Faherty

Offline ThomasH1791

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 06 February 21 09:52 GMT (UK) »
Alan, We went to the Isle of Wight in 2010 and were able to secure a copy of Robert’s family tree, which goes back to c.1660. I’ve researched the Blackman and Hoskisson families to a degree. You probably know that you can follow Elizabeth Blackman’s family back to the 1300s. Have you picked up “Blood Revenge: Murder on the Hawkesbury 1799” re Thomas Hoskisson’s death as a footnote in the Frontier Wars?

Offline tom mix

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 06 February 21 23:47 GMT (UK) »
Hello again,

Funny, we stayed in Portsmouth for 4 nights in 2009 and visited The Isle of Wight via the hydrofoil.

Regarding Robert Cork, I don't know where to start. Over the years I have accumulated much information and been in contact with a variety of people. I don't want to bore you with facts you already know, especially as I don't know your location. You may have had access to the same people as I have had. I live on the South Coast of New South Wales. One direct descendant who contacted me via email lived in the Blue Mountains and was descended from Robert's first son, Robert.

Anyway, I will put these facts up for your consideration:

* I have a copy of Robert Cork's last Will and Testament
* Before marrying Jane Blackman, he had been married to Elenor Dodd who died October 1846
* He was captain of a 94 ton Brig., named the Comet plying trade anywhere between Eden, Port     
   Macquarie and New Zealand
* At one stage he was the Licensee of The Prince Albert Inn at Nattai (Mittagong). It still exists on the
   Old Hume Highway on the Sydney side of town.
* His grave, with other family members, is located at South Head Cemetery, Row 5, Section G, Plot
   Number 100

Regarding his wife, Jane Blackman:
* One gentleman sent me a document on the Descendants of James Blackman (born abt. 1739)
   containing 53 pages of information
* On visiting Mudgee I was able to visit the Blackman Vault in Blackman Park
* The Mudgee Library was able to provide me with a likeness of Samuel Blackman, Jane's father
* I have a copy of the application for probate of Jane' Will. Her assets were 98 pounds and 5 pence.
   There were no liabilities

Finally on Thomas Hoskisson, I know of his marriage to Sarah Pigg and that he was killed on a
hunting trip with a companion, John Wimbow.

I will send you my email address via the My Messages site at the top of the page in case there is any confidential information to share.

Regards

Alan

Kirby, Woods, Faherty