Author Topic: Rose Dorothy Gillick  (Read 1165 times)

Offline westskip

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Rose Dorothy Gillick
« on: Friday 11 January 19 09:06 GMT (UK) »
I am attempting to find the death of Rose Dorothy Gillick who was born in Australia on 29 Sept. 1886, emigrated to USA in the 1920's and was became a US citizen. She returned to Australia in 1955 with the intention of retiring.
She apparently left Australia on the "Pioneer Gem" on 13 June 1956 presumably to return to USA and we have been unable to find any record of her returning to Australia after that date. She apparently died in USA and the only other clue we have is that she spent a considerable time living in New York.
 John.
Wilson - Brdaford,Yorkshire
Kelly - IOM
Moore - Devon
Darmody -Ireland
Gillick - Ireland
Mc Gillick - Ireland
Camm - Lincolnshire

Offline whiteout7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Rose Dorothy Gillick
« Reply #1 on: Friday 11 January 19 09:28 GMT (UK) »
Previous threads, only death place undiscovered
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=715471.0

The US census only goes up to the 1940's due to privacy restrictions.

Wemyss/Crombie/Laing/Blyth (West Wemyss)
Givens/Normand (Dysart)
Clark/Lister (Dysart)
Wilkinson/Simson (Kettle or Kettlehill)

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 11 January 19 09:35 GMT (UK) »

Rose Dorothy Gillick with the birth date 28/9/1886  does not appear on the USA SSDI (social security death index) which was up and running by 1962 ish

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 11 January 19 09:38 GMT (UK) »

There is a New York Death listed for a Rose Gillick - born about 1887 who passed away 6 March 1959 -  aged 72 years - Bronx, New York - Certificate Number:   2443

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 11 January 19 10:04 GMT (UK) »
A Mrs. Rose Gillick appears frequently in N.Y. papers, including this helpful mention-
New York Irish American Advocate, [dated 1944]: CAVAN LADIES CONDOLE At the regular monthly meeting of the Cavan Ladies S. & B. Ass'n, held Tuesday evening, March 21, at the Central Opera House, the following resolutions were passed unanimously. That we, the officers and Members
of the Cavan Ladies S. & B. Ass'n,' extend our deepest sympathy to our Sister member, Mrs. Rose Gillick on the Death of her mother...
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 11 January 19 10:12 GMT (UK) »
Not sure if this has been mentioned on any of the 4 different threads so far.  ???

South Carolina, Passenger Lists, 1906-1962 for  SS Pioneer Gem departing Sydney 13 June 1956  and arriving Charleston SC July 1956 Rose Dorothy Gillick - aged 69 years - destination 104 Clinton Ave, Stamford, Connecticut.

Sandra

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 11 January 19 10:43 GMT (UK) »
Didn't realise there were FOUR previous threads  ::)

Not sure if this has been mentioned on any of the 4 different threads so far.  ???
South Carolina, Passenger Lists, 1906-1962 for  SS Pioneer Gem departing Sydney 13 June 1956  and arriving Charleston SC July 1956 Rose Dorothy Gillick - aged 69 years - destination 104 Clinton Ave, Stamford, Connecticut.

Interesting address. The area has been redeveloped during my lifetime but seems that 104 Clinton Ave. was still standing a few years ago (the newspaper site doesn't allow me to see the content because I'm in the U.K.)-
Stamford Advocate, 6 Oct.2016: Another historic Stamford home bites the dust - For 18 years, the historic mansion at 102-104 Clinton Ave. served as transitional housing for homeless young men who, despite ...

Added- I believe it may be the green house shown on Streetview image in 2014- LINK
Unfortunately moving closer along the street the next image is from 2017 and house has been replaced by a very modern building.

Offline whiteout7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 11 January 19 10:45 GMT (UK) »

There is a New York Death listed for a Rose Gillick - born about 1887 who passed away 6 March 1959 -  aged 72 years - Bronx, New York - Certificate Number:   2443

Sandra

This death certificate would not be public until 2034, so uncovering where this Rose Gillick is, might be the answer. Possibly someone would have to actually pay for it to get an answer.

I'd think this was her

She may have been cremated or buried
Wemyss/Crombie/Laing/Blyth (West Wemyss)
Givens/Normand (Dysart)
Clark/Lister (Dysart)
Wilkinson/Simson (Kettle or Kettlehill)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 11 January 19 10:51 GMT (UK) »
If the Mrs. Rose Gillick mentioned frequently in N.Y. papers is her then it's possible her mother died in Cavan in 1943.