Author Topic: England and Wales BMD indexes  (Read 1023 times)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
England and Wales BMD indexes
« on: Friday 11 January 19 11:49 GMT (UK) »
My apologies if this has already been discussed, but are there any plans to make the E and W BMD indexes from 2006 onwards available, and if so, when?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline CarolA3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My adopted home
    • View Profile
Re: England and Wales BMD indexes
« Reply #1 on: Friday 11 January 19 12:40 GMT (UK) »
Short answer - no :(

GRO is now under the control of HM Passport Office who decided that the recent indices would not be released online.  I suspect if they'd been in charge earlier, they wouldn't have allowed the amount of online access we have now, but even they can't rewrite history :D

The recent indices are still available on fiche at seven (or six?) locations around E&W.  I can't recall where right now, but obviously you'd need to visit in person or find a willing volunteer on RC.

Carol
OXFORDSHIRE / BERKSHIRE
Bullock, Cooper, Boler/Bowler, Wright, Robinson, Lee, Prior, Trinder, Newman, Walklin, Louch

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 11 January 19 13:01 GMT (UK) »
Available at:

Manchester City Library
Birmingham Central Library
Bridgend Reference and Information Library
Plymouth Central Library
City of Westminster Archives Centre
London Metropolitan Archives
The British Library

(For British Library you need to pre-register)
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 11 January 19 13:36 GMT (UK) »
Thank you. I am vaguely intending another visit to the British Library (I am already registered there as a reader) and one to the London Metropolitan Archive, so I will add that to the to-do list for that visit, if/when I ever get round to it.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 11 January 19 22:36 GMT (UK) »
I'm at the British Library on a regular basis if you need info from the indexes before your next visit.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea