Author Topic: christenings in anfield, liverpool  (Read 1546 times)

Offline Flyingswan

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
christenings in anfield, liverpool
« on: Friday 11 January 19 14:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,
would anybody be able to help with information regarding a christening in 1941?
my uncle was christened in late january 1941 at age 15 in Anfield. this is the only information i can find and i am hoping to discover the church in which this would have taken place. i am not sure if it was a catholic or protestant service.
many thanks

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: christenings in anfield, liverpool
« Reply #1 on: Friday 11 January 19 15:06 GMT (UK) »
Where did you get the information that he was baptised in January 1941?
If it was from a database on a website and you tell us which one we may be able to identify the church.

If its  word of mouth, family, info then its a lot more difficult. Do you know where the family was living?

If you are in the Liverpool area you could visit the Library which has parish records on microfilm. The librarian should be able to advise which churches were within easy distance of their address (if known) or Anfield area churches of any religion.
Then you could go through the microfilms for each church and hopefully find a record, depending on how any churches there are, it may not take too long as you have specified a month and year.

Boo

Offline Flyingswan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 11 January 19 15:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi Boo, thanks for getting back to me.
I found the record on the Ancestry website but there is no image with the record.
it just lists christening place as Anfield, Lancashire, England

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 11 January 19 16:00 GMT (UK) »
try putting the name in on Family Search , a lot of these 'no image' records on ancestry have come from Family search anyway.

(given when he was born, please don't post the name in here unless you are sure that the person is deceased - we aren't allowed to post details about people who may still be alive)

If you get a result on family search then click the icon on the far right of the line (looks like a piece of paper)
now you get a screen with the record details - on the right hand side click the little down arrow next to Document Information and make a note of the film number and the reference ID

Search the catalogue for that film number - or post it and the reference ID in here and I'll have a look

Hopefully we can trace the church that way.

Boo

Offline Flyingswan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 11 January 19 16:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi Boo,
no luck with familysearch so I think the library may be the way to go unless you have any other ideas?
I don't understand why its so difficult to find this particular record as I've managed to find other family baptisms with no problems.
my uncle died in 1947 so there would be no problem with putting his name on the site but don't know if it would be of any help

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 11 January 19 16:58 GMT (UK) »
Sorry it didn't work but it was worth a try. The ancestry info is billed as coming from the LDS, but maybe the Family Search database is restricted to baptisms before this time frame (either because of privacy concerns or they just haven't got round to including them yet).

I think the main problem is the time frame, 1941 is very recent for these sort of records and not yet likely to be online in image form.

Which religion were his siblings baptised into?  Its highly likely that when he was born there was other stuff going on in the family and they just didn't get round to having him baptised till he was 15 - it happened quite often in lots of families.

My initial feeling about it is that it was an Anglican record, I am not too familiar with the area but if you can get to the Library, I'd ask which was regarded as the Parish Church of Anfield and start with that one. Again I don't know if the microfilms will cover dates this recent or if you'd have to order the original registers in the reading room.

Nothing else comes to mind, unless there is someone in the family who is still around and may have some recollection that could help?

Boo

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 11 January 19 17:02 GMT (UK) »
As he is deceased - could you post his full name and parental details.  We may be able to help using that info
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Flyingswan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 11 January 19 17:15 GMT (UK) »
 Hi Boo,
I think I'll try getting in touch with the library and see if they can point me in the right direction.
thank you very much for all your help, much appreciated.

Offline Flyingswan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 11 January 19 17:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi Carole,
his name was John Drummond Shaw. he was born in 1925 and died in 1947 aged just 22 years.
his father was john shaw and his mother was violet shaw nee Drummond.
they weren't from the anfield area. he was born and lived in the Wavertree area of Liverpool so I'm not sure why he was christened in anfield but his funeral was also in anfield.(at the crematorium not a church)