Author Topic: Henry Milner born August 1793  (Read 860 times)

Offline ruth52

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Henry Milner born August 1793
« on: Friday 11 January 19 18:17 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to trace the parents of the a/n buried with his wife (Mary) in Edensor church yard. I believe they married in Darley (Wife Mary Seales or Scales). I strongly suspect that Henry's father is a sibling of Edward Milner (married to Mary Davenport)

To save time and effort I have the Darley Dale PR's and have searched diligently for a baptism that would fit but the only one I can find is Henry  the son of Edward who was baptised in 1792. This is my ancestor who subsequently married Bridget Travis.

Can anyone out there help please?

I have almost all the generations from 1640 through to 1800s but this is eluding me.
Interestingly this Henry's son was the renowned Landscape architect Edward Milner!

whyatt/wyatt - chesterfield,de rusett/quigley,crosbie -india, barber, beswick- yorkshire, astridge- portsmouth,
travis, gill, barker, fielding- derbyshire

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Henry Milner born August 1793
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 12 January 19 12:54 GMT (UK) »
Hello
Yes I can help a little
Edward who Mary Davenport is the son of Richard Milner who dies in 1816 at Darley Dale.
Richard Milner senior leaves his money to his two grandsons sons of late son George and late son John called Richard and George  and his other two sons -your Edward and son Richard.

As you know these 4 men Edward,John ,George and Richard and their wives are the only Milners in Darley Dale having children around the right time.If one of them is Henry's father ,it can not be George or John because granddad would have named Henry in his Will and he doesn't ,that leaves Richard junior.

Luckily Richard junior also leaves a Will .In his Will written 8.12. 1818 Richard Milner innholder  leaves his estate for life to his wife Sarah.His two daughters Sarah and Hannah will live with her.Son Samuel my dwelling in Darley Dale with brewhouse etc.
To my son Henry Milner the other part of the said dwelling house including the Parlour,cellar and small garden.
Elizabeth and Sarah get some furniture and £40 each.
If his wife dies then it goes to Samuel and Henry and they are in charge of the division and there are provisions for the death of the children,share and share alike depending on whether there are grandchildren.

Samuel is a cordwainer  when the Will is proven 1820.

So even without a christening Henry has to be Richard junior's son

Richard married Sarah Wall at Darley 6 Feb 1786 She was born c 1761 died 1 Oct 1843 at Darley
We have Samuel 10.12.1786,Edward 28.7.1793,Sarah 11.10.1795,Mary Ann 29.7.1798,Alice 7.12.1800

The only Henry I can see is at Allestree in 19.10.1788
He would fit nicely in the gap 1786-1793

Is that what you want to hear?

Ciderdrinker

Offline ruth52

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 12 January 19 14:59 GMT (UK) »
Yes! That is brilliant ! I had actually seen Richard jnr's will but hadn't joined the dots.

Whilst Richard jnr isn't a direct ancestor it confirms that 'my' Henry is who I thought he was.

I have a lot of ancestors from Darley and Rowsley in 16 and 1700s , they can be confusing all choosing the same names generation after generation, as well as intermarrying although I don't suppose that is too surprising.

Mary Milner (mygggrandmother) married her maternal first cousin. They also shared paternal gggrandparents!!

Once again thank you for your help

Ruth

whyatt/wyatt - chesterfield,de rusett/quigley,crosbie -india, barber, beswick- yorkshire, astridge- portsmouth,

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 12 January 19 15:19 GMT (UK) »
From reading your post, plus the reply from ciderdrinker and then looking at the records myself, we do indeed have 2 Henry's, one son of Edward bp'd 9/9/1792 and the other who would appear to be the son of Edward's brother Richard.

However, you state that 'your' Henry who married Bridget was the one born 1792, son of Edward but I don't think this is so - although shown as bc.1796 in 1841, in 1851 census Henry (married to Bridget) is shown as bc.1789 and his death in 1858 shows him as 70 i.e. bc.1788.

I think ciderdrinker is correct in that Edward's brother Richard married Sarah Wall 1786 and that this couple had children baptised Darley i.e. Samuel 1786, Edward 1793, Sarah 1795, Mary Ann 1798 and Alice 1800 and that there is a gap 1787-1792.    I, too, think that the Henry Milner bp.19/10/1788 Allestree, son of Richard and Sarah, is a son of this couple plus there was also a daughter Elizabeth bp.19/6/1791 Allestree so would appear that Richard and Sarah left Darley for Allestree between 1787-1791 and had returned to Darley by 1793 when son Edward born.

There are trees on Ancestry stating that the Henry Milner bp.9/9/1792, son of Edward, is the Henry Milner who married Mary Seales and I would tend to agree with them.  His ca.birthdate of 1793 is consistent on census and age at death.

'Your' Henry married Bridget and in 1841 census both are shown as bc.1796 - however, in 1851 Henry shown bc.1789 and death in 1858 is at age 70 (bc.1788).

I firmly believe that 'your' Henry is the one baptised 19/10/1788 Allestree, son of Richard and Sarah, and not the Henry baptised 1792 Darley (son of Richard's brother Edward) who married Mary and whose age on the various census, and age at death, is consistent with this birthdate whereas 'your' Henry was actually bc.1788/9. Although shown as born in Darley he was probably unaware that his parents had briefly lived in Allestree between 1787 and 1791 where he and a sister Elizabeth were baptised before family returned to Darley by 1792.

Annette

Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ruth52

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 12 January 19 16:22 GMT (UK) »
Yes Annette I do believe you are correct, on reviewing everything (thats probably what ciderdrinker meant too but I misread it!)
I have looked back at the PRs and on the baptism list they show Henry(son of Edward and Mary) as buried at Edensor in the comments. Whilst this is not looking at the original (i have the CD) it now puts the onus back to this being the branch that moved to Edensor and made good with the connections to Chatsworth.
Thus my Henry, son of Richard and Sarah became a cordwainer.
Thanks for all your help. I'm glad I confirmed this before I started researching Henry's mother! Now to start on the Wall's (who actually feature in another branch of my Darley family already!)

If anyone has Darley links I'm happy to see if any of my research will help you (pre 1850 only) 

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 14 January 19 10:27 GMT (UK) »
Hello
Yes I'm afraid I did mean that.
I agree it does look like your Henry is the son of Richard and Sarah.
I didn't like to say out right as you may have researched all the Devonports and that would have been bad news.
Glad to hear you haven't got round to them yet.

Sarah Wall looks like she is the daughter of Henry Wall  and Mary Wildgoose and I did wonder if her mother was Elizabeth Wildgoose's sister and Sarah and Richard were cousins.

All the best

Ciderdrinker

Offline ruth52

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 14 January 19 15:23 GMT (UK) »
 :) I've learnt my lesson - I don't research back until I've convinced myself on the balance of probabilities!  I just had the niggling doubt about Henry  which was why I asked the question thank goodness.

I've checked out Mary Wildgoose - she seems to be the daughter of John Wildgoose and Elizabeth Bowyer who is the son of John Wilgoose and Grace Bunting. Elizabeth (and Ellen) are the daughters of  John and Ellin Foulk who he married after Grace's death. That would make them Mary's aunts. Incidentally they are also ancestors on my tree!

Its all good fun isn't it!!

Ruth