Author Topic: Death from poisoning resulting from natural causes  (Read 2678 times)

Offline Claire64

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Death from poisoning resulting from natural causes
« on: Friday 11 January 19 22:45 GMT (UK) »
1877.  A young girl of 6 years of age started vomiting (green) then fitting.  She died the following day, and a post mortem was carried out because of "suspected poisoning". 
The doctor concluded that  she "died from poisoning resulting from natural causes", and the verdict was, "natural causes". 
Any ideas?  I'm guessing blood poisoning, say sepsis, but that's just a guess.  Can anyone add anything? Cheers.
Pearson (Bradwell Dby & Stocksbridge)
Donkersley
Crawshaw (Bradfield)
Evans (Bradwell Dby and Stocksbridge)
Crossley (Penistone)
Rogers (Nottinghamshire & Stocksbridge)
Poynton / Pointon (Derbyshire)
Day (Barnsley WRY and Iowa USA)
Scargill (Barnsley)

Offline Wiggy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • coloured by Gadget
    • View Profile
Re: Death from poisoning resulting from natural causes
« Reply #1 on: Friday 11 January 19 22:48 GMT (UK) »
She may have ingested something poisonous maybe?  You would think with blood poisoning, it might have had more 'lead in' time.    :-\   
At aged 6 she could have been 'trying out' things in the garden.      Maybe . . . . . ;)

Wiggy
Gaunt, Ransom, McNally, Stanfield, Kimberley. (Tasmania)
Brown, Johnstone, Eskdale, Brand  (Dumfriesshire,  Scotland)
Booth, Bruerton, Deakin, Wilkes, Kimberley
(Warwicks, Staffords)
Gaunt (Yorks)
Percy, Dunning, Hyne, Grigg, Farley (Devon, UK)
Duncan (Fife, Devon), Hugh, Blee (Cornwall)
Green, Mansfield, (Herts)
Cavenaugh, Ransom (Middlesex)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 11 January 19 22:50 GMT (UK) »
Could be as a result of a ruptured appendix.Peritonitis?
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 11 January 19 23:12 GMT (UK) »
Where did it happen?  Countryside or city?

Some poisonous plant?  [I had a mushrooom poisoning death but that doesn't seem likely for a child.] 
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 12 January 19 01:30 GMT (UK) »
Especially attractive to children are laburnum berries.  As a child we had several warnings a year not to touch the tree or eat the berries.  At six years of age, possibly the child had slightly more freedom to roam further than her mother's skirt and mistook something she thought was edible - maybe mistaken for a herb or, for instance, it's been known for people to mistake tulip bulbs for onions and that mistake has consequences too.
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 12 January 19 10:39 GMT (UK) »
We played “ house” and treated Laburnum seeds as tiny peas,but we did not eat them,in fact the pods were too tiny to open really.
Holly,very attractive ,berries,Lords and Ladiesor Parson in the Pulpit( wild arum) has lovely orange berries.
Arsenic was in the gold decoration of wallpaper.
It was also freely used as rat poison up to the fifties,James Herriot wrote about giving a dog soapy water to make it vomit after eating poisoned bait.
Paint ,even on toys contained lead but that is a slow more accumulative process.
Fly Agaric,the pretty but deadly red with white patches toadstool is deadly.
So many things but the “ natural causes “ does make you think it was either accidental or from something growing.
How interesting, let us know if you find out more.
Viktoria.

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 12 January 19 10:50 GMT (UK) »
Natural causes must mean Septicaemia/Sepsis? this was 1877, what did they know?

Skoosh.

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 12 January 19 11:13 GMT (UK) »
Natural causes must mean Septicaemia/Sepsis? this was 1877, what did they know?

Skoosh.

My thoughts exactly Skoosh.  I also think it was an acknowledgement that the mother didn't intentionally poison her child.

As I'm not medically trained, there's only a few things I can think of that's green.  I once had green puss in my leg which turned out to be gangrene (from a scratch caused by a road accident), then there's green mucous from infected sinus, and the only vomit I've seen usually includes bits of orange carrots, I'm assuming the child either had an internal infection or had eaten some form of (poisonous) green vegetation.
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Online *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 12 January 19 11:26 GMT (UK) »

Could that have been green bile she was vomiting - maybe a blockage in the bowel   :'(

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada